idiot light

Hello to the group.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem with their f-150... My battery idiot light will light up when my engine rpm reaches a certain speed and will stay on until I press in the clutch and let the engine back down to under that certain rpm. I have checked the charge state when the idiot light is on and off. (light off) At idle up to about 2400-2800 rpm the charge state is around 13.95 volts. (light on) Above the 2400-2800 rpm the light comes on and the charge state falls off to about 12.6 volts. (measured at the battery with a volt meter)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

FSKarasek - KF6HQC snipped-for-privacy@arrl.net

Reply to
xpodx

Voltage regulator.

Reply to
bomar

Thanks Bomar,

According to the book the voltage regulator resides within the alternator so... I guess that means a new alternator...

I appreciate your help.

FSKarasek - KF6HQC snipped-for-privacy@arrl.net

Reply to
xpodx

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:09:29 +0000, bomar rearranged some electrons to form:

You might also make sure the belt is tight.

Reply to
David M

You didn't post what year, etc....that would help. Most of the alt's are pretty easy to fix. I normally repair mine to avoid a rebuilt unit.

Reply to
bomar

Yes, you are right, I didn't give any other details... I own a 1998 f-150 with the 4.2 liter v-6. Standard transmission with 95,000 miles on it. I added the tow package but didn't upgrade the 95 amp alternator to the 130 amp. I doubt this is a concern but I will upgrade to the 130 now that my original alternator is taking a dump... The serpentine belt is fine and taught.