Instrument Cluster Lamp Replacement

Hello all,

My overdrive lamp just went out.

Hopefully someone has done this job before.I am looking for some suggestions on how to replace the bulb.

Thanks,

Jerry T.

Reply to
Jerry T.

The job differs drastically depending on the make model and year of your vehicle...

Reply to
351CJ

Sorry I forgot to list vehicle type,it is a

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 auto trans 5 speed w/overdrive

Tnx

Jerry T.

direct email is snipped-for-privacy@us.army.mil

Reply to
Jerry T.

I replaced the bulbs in my 97 ranger instrument cluster not long ago. It's pretty straightforward, and much easier than the old days because you don't have a speedometer cable to fool with. You do have to remove the instrument cluster, but it's not that bad. Be patient so you don't break anything. I think it only took me 30-40 minutes start to finish to do mine.

While you're in there, replace ALL the instrument cluster bulbs. They're all the same age, and they're going to start failing at an ever more increasing rate. The bulbs are cheap, and it's a whole lot easier to do them at once instead of taking the instrument panel out every 6 months to replace another bulb.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

YES!

Not to mention that even the vibration of removing it (bulbs not powered) is likely to kill a bulb or two.

Reply to
clemslay

If that were true all of you bulbs would have burned out in well under

10,000 miles of regular driving over normal roads...
Reply to
351CJ