intermittant '97 ranger fuel gauge

I really have searched the group using Google. And I did find some messages that were relavant, but would like a little more information. I can't seem to find anyone that has posted about this in the last three or four years and that is still using the use group.

The fuel gauge seems to not work until I have driven about thirty miles or more. When it works it works reasonably well, but it indicates empty most of the time. I am pretty sure the problem is corrosion in the connections somewhere, but I don't know where. My theory is that the corrosion prevent current from flowing until thermal expansion moves the connection slightly. Google on "Fretting corrosion in electrical connectors" if you are interested in my theory.

So my immediate questions are:

What type of connections are at the tank? plug, individual push on connectors. Unless I am looking at the fuel pump connections, I can reach the wires to the sender, but can't see anything. So I don't want to pull too hard and break something.

Second, the corroded connector is likely to be at the instrument cluster. How do I partially remove the instrument cluster? Yeah I looked at the library at the book on electrical problems and probably should have looked at the Chiltons. Or does anyone think I can reach the appropriate connectors by standing on my head and reaching behind the dash?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Dan, your problem lies in the tank! Sorry to inform you but your sensor and the f. pump are all one and this is the cause of all your problems.. We replace these all the time here at the shop. Some can be repaired, but as you know it is a matter of warrenty between the customer and the dealer!!

Dick

Reply to
Richard Powers