Intermittent Ranger Starting Problem

My 2002 2.3 liter Ranger is normally dependable, but recently it will not start. It cranks quickly enough, gives a strong spark, but doesn't light up. The spark plugs are dry when I remove them, even if the accelerator is floored. I swapped the fuel pump relay, thinking fuel problem, and it fired up and ran fine; however when I ran into the same problem yesterday, swapping the relay had no effect. The truck started later in the day with no repair.

The truck is used very infrequently (roughly 1 time per month); it only has

5,000 miles on it. Could the infrequent use be a contributing factor?

What is the next step in troubleshooting this problem?

Reply to
Jay Alperson

Next time it won't start, check for fuel pressure at the rail. Ideally you would use a pressure gauge that you can buy cheap from auto stores, or you can just press the pintle on the rail connection with something pointed. Just be careful as fuel should be at 38psi at the rail.

I'm guessing the fuel pump is going. Do you hear it run when you turn on the key?

Reply to
Mike H

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out the next time the truck fails. It has been working fine for the last few days.

Reply to
Jay Alperson