Intermittent warm start problem, 95 Ranger

Hello:

I own a 1995 Ranger, 3 liter 6, automatic transmission, extended cab. I have an intermittent starting problem. In warm weather, after driving between 10 and 30 minutes, and then parking between 30 and 90 minutes I sometimes have trouble starting my truck. It turns over fine, and at least one cylinder fires so the starter disengages, but it will not continue running. Sometimes it will "run" for more than 5 seconds but very poorly before dying. Usually I wait a while and then it starts right up. Immediate restarts have never been a problem. Cold starts have never been a problem. I had about 5 problems last summer, then it went away. It just turned hot (over 100) here and it has happened 3 times in the last 3 days. It is the intermittent nature of the problem that bothers me the most. I know that a mechanic cannot truly diagnose a problem that is not happening, so I haven't really tried. I am hoping that the problem is not unique so that a probable diagnosis is available.

Thank you for your efforts on behalf of the newsgroup and myself.

Ralph Dilts

Reply to
REDilts

Jerry

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there any way to test the pressure regulator? Is it likely an intermittent fault or just a condition where temperature or time sensitivity causes an always marginal situation to cause the no-start problem?

Ralph Dilts

Reply to
REDilts