Is my mechanic a crook?

I took my 2004 Ford E250 van in for an oil change. I wasn't watching closely but what I saw from the customer's lounge worried me. What's more is that now the A/C Defroster system isn't working. The van went on the lift. The waste oil drum went under the engine. The mechanic drops the oil filter into the funnel of the waste oil drum, moves to the right and then undoes the oil plug. When he went back to the front of the van, just left of center, he tugged something. He tugged a couple of times and appeared to be using some force. The question is, did he sabotage the A/C Defroster system? Is there something like a hose that is in front of the van, on the left as you look at it or just left of center that has to do with the A/C Defroster?

Reply to
johnsha

What are the symptoms of "A/C Defroster system isn't working"? No fan? Only blows out defrost ducts?

Have you had a look under the van? Where exactly in the "front" was he tugging? the grille area, underneath, where?

He

This question really can't be answered accurately unless you provide more info.

Is there

There are refrigerant lines that lead to the condenser in front of the radiator, and they may accessible from underneath, but probably not from the grille.

If there is foul play involved, it wouldn't be the first time a shop had made its own problems. But like I said, it's hard to make a judgement without more detailed info.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

wrote: ( 2004 Ford E250 van )

My A/C Defroster system isn't working.

My van recently had an oil change and I saw the mechanic beneath and in front of the van, just left of center, tugging something a couple of times using some force.

Is there something like a hose that is in front of the van just left of center that has to do with the A/C Defroster system that could have been damaged by the mechanic? _________________________________________________

There are numerous electrical and mechanical failures which could result in an A/C problem or a defroster problem. They include ignition switch failures, defroster control failures, relay failures, vacuum line breaks, stuck air doors, blown fuses, refrigerant loss, A/C compressor failure, drive belt failure, etc.

It's easy to learn what the mechanic was doing: Go back to the oil change shop, describe what you saw to the manager, and ask for an explanation.

With no description of the symptoms other than "isn't working" no one in the newsgroup can begin to help solve the problem.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

If its a full service garage and not a lube joint sounds like he was checking front end components for slop. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Almost certainly the case in this instance, Whitelightning. This is why some shops don't like the customers to watch the servicing. Some don't have a clue as to what they are seeing and are suspicious of everything. Here the mechanic dumped the oil and while he has a free moment he's safety checking as he should. The poster should have his wife take the vehicle in for service next time.

Reply to
Al Bundy