Jet Truck, in action

Again, my son's '06 F-650 7000 HP Jet Truck, this time in action, at a monster truck show in LaPorte, IN. The video was made by a fan. It was a small venue, not allowing for full acceleration. Mebbe a fan at a dragstrip will come up with a video soon.

1D10T

BTW, this truck is a daily driver. This photo was taken in front of my house when he stopped to visit on his way home from the LaPorte IN event.

1D10T

Has he made a full 1/4 mile run yet? If so, what kind of time and speed did he get?

I have seen a jet powered tractor at a tractor pull and 300 mph jet dragsters, so I need a bit more than a simple drive around a lot to convince me that this vehicle is truly special.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Hey Mark It's not as special as it will be. It's a work in progress. It's run some non-sanctioned strip demos but hasn't run the quarter yet. He's yet to take it much over about 130 mph because of tire considerations and the need of a better roll cage. Plans are to add another jet and greater fuel capacity. It goes through about 60 gallons for a 4 minute noise, smoke and flame show, usually before a ¼ mile drag meet or a monster truck show like in the video. $150K and still spending! Stay tuned.

Reply to
1D10T

conclusion that his jet truck is a sham. Or he's was just clueless about his engine choice when he bought it. he dont have money to build one right. hes living with the engine choice mistake. He bought a surplus F5 engine which is underpowered for his truck. A lot underpowered. I can't say how much . Because I dont know how much the truck weighs. But the thrust to weight ratio can be used to figure acceleration speeds. I can guess its

50% to 80% underpowered. Based on the thrust of other drag jet trucks engines . It would be ok in a light funny car maybe. But he needs a much larger engine for the weight he's trying to move in a quarter mile. I doubt he could get much past 130 in a quarter mile. Im thinking he should accelerate like an airliner. Not a dragster. They dont let drivers open them engines up. They dont want compressor blades flying through the crowds. And they arent required to maintain them for full power runs. He's just kinda screwed unless he gets a much larger surplus engine. He's pretty much got a truck that needs to be at Bonneville salt flats to have enough room to get up to some unknown speed. He doesnt have any choice but to blow smoke and fire and waste gas. It wont do 300mph runs with that engine in a quarter mile. Maybe not even a mile or even at all.
Reply to
None4U