labor cost question

OK, this last thing and I'll quit cryin. I had the PCM relay replaced (on a 97 Ranger) and today I went under the hood and the relay/fuse box was left open, revealing the fact that changing the PCM relay was a very simple matter of *snap*click*snap*.

I was charged $129 for diagnosis, OK, fine, $22 for the part, so far so good, and $71 for labor to replace the part.

Whoa! $71 to go *snap*click*snap* ? Am I missing something here? Am I being a big baby, or is it really unreasonable to charge that kind of money for ten seconds of labor?

TIA TomR2 Seattle

Reply to
I love Edsels

Don't feel bad. Lady at work paid $325 to change a fuse in her Mercedes for the radio. Oddly, I know a Mercedes mechanic and ever since they went to commission only (no salary), he says it is very easy to bill a 16 hour day in eight hours for doing what "the book" says.

I was stung too at the Ford dealer. At their posted shop rate of $70/hr. I gave the go ahead on a repair that cost $1200 or so. They called me about 6 hours later saying car was ready. Labor stayed at the $1200 though (part was maybe $100). My bitch to the BAR (bureau of automotive repair) basically came down to "You agreed to pay the verbal quote. So sorry."

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

I was once charged $100 ($49.99 per hour x 2 hrs.) for the tire rotate and balance special for $29.99. Ford Tech counldn't balance one and did a test and found out the rim was bent. I looked at the invoice and said "I Don't think So!"-"I'm only the paying $29.99." The service manager wouldn't give me my keys till I paid..I wrote out check for $29.99 and handed it to him. I said give me my keys or I'll call the cops. He said a few nasty words so I grabed my cell phone, then he said would take the check and pay the invoice. As I was leaving, he had the nerve to try to sell me a new rim to replace the bent one.

Scooter

Reply to
Scooter

hehe, sounds like the landscape contractor who abandoned my patio project and then, after I sued him and had his license suspended, offered to help me with the rest of the yard.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego