leaf spring mtg brackets

Got a 1993 Ford XLT F150. The mounting bracket that is riveted to the frame and holds the back end of one of the rear leaf springs has rusted and broken completely off, letting the end of the spring rest on the bottom of the bed. After looking at the others, it looks like they all need replaced. Any one know of a good aftermarket supplier of this kind of stuff? I am in Ohio, if that matters...(USA)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 3159 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Burgy

You can buy them from ford. They are not expensive. Zip the heads of the rivets off with a torch, punch them through with an air chisel, bolt them on with 1/2" bolts lockwashers and nuts. done.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

One has to imagine what the rest of the frame is like? Might it be time to retire this one, or find a "floater" and move the drive train.

Whiteligtning

Reply to
Whitelightning

That's a good point, BUT I have replaced several brackets because the mud (salt, sand, etc.) just lays in the cavities of the brackets and rusts them out. Some people have not heard of a proper washing of a vehicle.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

I have Con-Fer shackles (the part you are talking about is a shackle) on my Jeep CJ5. There are lots of makes and sizes, my personal belief is that long shackles are a hazard. I know lots of guys will gain lift by installing longer shackles, but in my humble opinion, this is not a good move at all. The longer shackles change suspension geometry, and the added length puts side-leverage on stuff that doesn't like it.

I see no problem with swapping out the stock shackles and replacing them with a new one that is an inch or less longer than the original, but if one elects to do this, the new parts should be Heavy Duty. I think my Con-Fer shackles on my Jeep are about 3/4" longer than stock. The problem comes when the replacements are 3 or more inches longer than stock. And, they LOOK stupid.

Jeff Strickland

Don't forget to use automotive quality nuts and bolts.

Jeff Strickland

I had to replace a rear leaf spring and some spring hardware on my 97 F250HD. I went here. They had a nice assortment for Ford pickups. I had to cut off some of the bolts due to rust, so I bought both new bolts kits and bushings too.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Brown