leaking head gasket ?'s

My '82 inline 6 always has oil flung around the engine compartment, and the head and valve cover gaskets are always sopping wet, but the oil level (dipstick) is always fine...I hear doing the head might be $500, so that's out, but the valve cover gasket looks like an easy job, with proper tightening sequence, torque wrench, and Haynes... anyone ever do this? does the list ever end?

Reply to
kundalini

It's not the head gasket...you are refering to the valve cover gasket. Have you ever checked to see if the bolts are tight? Don't over tighten of you will ruin the gasket...

Reply to
Advocate

I assume you have already looked for oil in the coolant and know that your truck is not making milkshakes.

You might have someone rev the engine while you look under the hood. Maybe wear your swimming goggles... Actually, if the oil is leaking externally you may be able to determine where it is coming from by powerwashing the engine and then driving it for a short time. Any new oil will be easier to see.

It might be a place to start.

Stephen N.

Reply to
Stephen N.

The engine compartment LOOKS like it's projectile vomiting oil. but it must be slloooowy oozing, 'cause the level is always perfect. I just have to watch it and not take long trips in it for now. The Haynes gives the easy procedure, tightening sequence, and torque values... thanks! :+)

Reply to
kundalini

Yea its probably the valve cover not the head

but that oil isnt under pressure and will usualy run down the side of the engine and start smoking on the exhaust manifold

you could clean the area pretty good with some engine degreaser on a rag and then drive it a short distance or let it idle then see if you can find the leak.

cant really tell where your from to know if its hot there but is the air conditioning running ok because a seal on the compressor can shoot a good ammount of oil under the hood. Not Pints but enough to look nasty.

Could also be a transmission cooling line maybe or power steering.

Reply to
moo

Along with the valve cover make sure the PCV system is working. memory says the vacumm port that feeds the PCV likes to pack up with crude. This results in blown gaskets and leaking seals. Blow by was an issue with these as well sometimes. If the fresh air "intake" side of the PCV system has been removed from the air cleaner its a good indicator, and could also be the reason the engine bay looks like its been soaked. Front seals liked to leak as well with age, and that will sling oil as well. Sounds like I'm dinging the engine, but the 300 cid 6 is a work horse engine and pulls like a mule. They run almost forever even with a multitude of things wrong. They do get horrid fuel mileage though.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning