Left side rear view mirror for 1998 F-150 (non power)

Left side outside mirror was hit by another truck last night. Only part of the mirror broken. Frame ok. My Haynes does not show how to remove and replace. Will I have a problem finding a replacement or are there any after market mirrors available for my 1998 F-150? TIA

Reply to
Larry Suddarth

Larry:

I have an 88. I looked on AdvanceAutoParts site and they list a manual mirror glass replacement. Not sure exactly how it is on the newer models, but on the 88, there is a mirror backing inside the "frame". The glass just mounts to that. So to remove, you pry the glass away from the backing with a screwdriver (and safety glasses). To install, you go to an auto parts store and buy glue specific to side mirror replacement. Ask and the employee should be able to show you right were it is. You squirt it on and press the replacement glass onto the mirror backing inside the frame. Pretty easy... should take a max of

30 mins.

James

Reply to
Jimbo

I replaced mine in my 2000 F150 for the muth mirrors when I had one of mine broken (Also left side) If its just the glass broken I`m not sure if Ford sells them separately but may. They snap into little pins inside the mirror head assembly. I may even have one for the drivers left side in storage if the 99 and 00 are the same......

If the whole mirror assembly needs to come off you just remove the door panel. Remove the little protective cover that hides the holes for the mirror( located behind mirror on inside panel) remove 3 nuts and it comes right off. If its electric you will have to remove the power cable also to the mirror that's in the door. Its a small connector that snaps together. Just reverse to install the new mirror assembly

Reply to
sdsdev

To answer my own question: I went to Auto Zone. They wanted around $130 to replace the complete driver side assembly. Not to mention removing part of the door panel and removing 3 bolts. I told them that the housing was good, but the mirror was broken. For around $11 they sold me the mirror only. It is slightly smaller than the original mirror. The instructions say that if the original mirror is only cracked, then you can put the double sided tape on the original mirror and press the new mirror on top.

Part of my original mirror was missing, so the instructions say to remove the remaining broken pieces. Did that. Put the double sided tape on the base. Pressed the mirror in place. Happy camper. The product is sold by Dorman. Web address:

Product number: 51475. The replacement mirror is two sided. Just by reversing it can be placed on the passenger side mirror.

There is one additional instruction. "For additional strength and security after mirror has been placed in frame, run a bead of clear silicone sealer between the new mirror glass and housing shell. If anyone has been there and done that, I would appreciate your advice on this. Thanks

Reply to
Larry Suddarth