Lets talk car wax

I just bought a 04 Ford F150 black and have been checking out various internet sites regarding wax claims. I am looking for something that offers top notch protection and help keep the dirt off. I checked around a couple of auto parts stores and they say that all waxes are pretty much the same. I was really suprised to hear that from an auto store. lol

One product that interests me is the 5 Star product at

so if you are familar with it, I'd like youropinion. They claim not to be a wax and that it is darn near impossible toget off. That could be good or bad. Of course I am also interested in other recommendations. Heard that 3M offers a good wax.

Cliff

Reply to
Cliff

I did forget to mention that the detail guy at Ford recommended using a marine type wax. Why..I don't know.

Reply to
Cliff

I was a competitor in IASCA sound competitions and cleaned/waxed my car a couple of times a week, usually Friday then again on the Sat/Sun of the competition. I have tried many different products, even Dri-Wash-N-Guard (SP?). Some products are special polymers that bond to your paint and are almost impossible to get off (not good if you need to do touch-up), others although very slippery seem to put a haze on the paint, not allowing the color to shine through. Still others are a silicone base, same touch-up problem, or PTFE which can cause your paint to crack.

The bottom line; I like a Carnuba wax. I found a whole package of products, wax, polish, cloths, cleaners etc. that I finally liked, and the fact they are one of the top car care product lines used for prestigious car shows, "Concours d'Elegance", isn't a bad recommendation either.

If you like the idea of synthetic car wax here is another internet company: I have not tried these products, but heard good things about them.

None of these products are CHEAP, Griots Garage has store fronts in some places also.

I am not associated with nor receive any compensation from any of these companies. The above is just my personal opinion.

I.Care

Reply to
I. Care

Some products are special polymers that

Thats what I was worried about with these non-wax types that bond to the paint. If I didn't like it, too bad, you can't get it off. Another type I found like that was

think I will stay away from these. I appreciate the link. Checking it out now.

Reply to
Cliff

B~

Reply to
BradS

Found this for those interested.

a 52 page special report comparing car waxes.Downside is it's $10 which isn't much considering the vehicle investment.

Reply to
Cliff

I use marine polish often on my truck and it brings out a great shine and seems to protect the paint very well. I use star-brite marine polish with teflon. I think the teflon is what makes it work so well, the water beads right off of it, and when it gets dirty it is very easy to just rinse the dirt off because of the teflon. When I run out of that, I usually use mcguires gold class wax. It works pretty good too, but not as good as the boat polish. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

I've always been happy with the Mequiars stuff.

Reply to
scrapeNO-THANKS