Lfiting a Rangerv with air

Hi, I have a '94 Ranger XLT Supercab 2WD that I'm puting B.A.T.'s (Big Ass Tires) on. I bought a 2" lift kit that will give me all I need. It consists of rear add-a-leafs and 2' urethane front coil spring spacers. Also Rancho 2' over RS5000 shocks. I installed the rear add-a-leafs no problem. None of the local shops want to install the front coil spring spacers which they make clear by pricing the job out of reality. Been quoted $600.00. I have no problem installing them myself as I have the tools and knowledge as well as the factory service manual. However, single digit temps and piles of snow are preventing me from doing it until the weather improves. The front end has to go up 2" to give adequate clearance for the B.A.T.'s. I need the truck on the road asap. So until I can install the spacers and new shocks I think I came up with a temporary fix.

I'm thinking of puting air adjustable shocks up front and pumping enough air pressure to raise the front exactly 2". I put the new tires on and will measure from level ground to the top of the fender then pump the shocks up

2". They don't make air adjustable shocks for the front of any vehicle. The Monroe site explains that because air adjustable shocks are usually tee'd together which would make for scary cornering as the air shifts from one shock to the other. But I'm not going to tee them together. I'll have seperate air valves for each side. BTW, I used the Monroe catalog to get the specs for the stock front shocks then went to the back of the catalog that shows the specs for all their shocks including the air shocks and found a pair that have the same mounting configuration and approximately the same stroke.

Ok, the questions:

  1. Does this sound like it will work temporarily?

  1. Any comments on using air adjustable shocks on the front of my ranger?

  2. After raising 2", either with the spacers or the air shocks, I'm going to need an alignment to take care of the toe-in that will occur. The shops arounf here all tell me I'll need upper tie rod bushings and/or cams to have enough adjusment for the alignment. I have a problem with that. First, I contacted the manufacterer of the lift kit (located in Montana, the only State where trucks like Big Foot, etc. can legally drive on the road....they know trucks!) and was told Ford offered a "Hi Rise" option on Rangers by adding a rear leaf spring and using 2" longer coil springs in the front with no other changes - the same as the kit I bought. And I verified that with my local Ford dealer The company I ordered the kit from also told me that if the shop I take it to says that because of that kit installed they couldn't allign it properly then I should not let that shop do the work. They also said that there, that's about the first thing people do on two wheel drive Rangers because a mere 2 inch lift requires no other mods. Whereas any higher kits require adjustment cams, longer pitman arms, lots of bushings, etc. Sounds clear to me, how about you guys?

  1. The coil spring spacers raise the front exactly 2". If I use air shocks to raise it also exactly 2", when I do replace the air shocks with the spring spacers will I need it aligned again?

  2. Do you think ride quality will be negatively affected with air adjustable shocks up front? I don't think so because I put them on the rear of my Chrysler New Yorker 5th avenue and even with 90 to 100 PSI the ride is actually better.

  1. If the air adjustable shocks work out fine, ie; I like the ride, a front end alignment straightens things out, can I just leave it that way without replacing them with the spacers, or should I replace them with the spacers and the appropriate Rancho shocks for that application?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

To reply by email change the addres from .not to .net

Reply to
Jay

. . would'nt it be cheaper to rent a storage space at a local storage rental yard?

one with electricity to run yer rented heater would be nice.

then you wouldn't be wasting money on those air adjustable shocks that you're gonna be sorry that you put on........IN THE SAME WEATHER THAT YOU DIDN'T WANT TO PUT THE SPACER ON in..........

jest a thought

marshmonster ~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Lfiting a Rangerv with air Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Sun, Feb 29, 2004, 4:27am (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.not (Jay) Hi, I have a '94 Ranger XLT Supercab 2WD that I'm puting B.A.T.'s (Big Ass Tires) on. I bought a 2" lift kit that will give me all I need. It consists of rear add-a-leafs and 2' urethane front coil spring spacers. Also Rancho 2' over RS5000 shocks. I installed the rear add-a-leafs no problem. None of the local shops want to install the front coil spring spacers which they make clear by pricing the job out of reality. Been quoted $600.00. I have no problem installing them myself as I have the tools and knowledge as well as the factory service manual. However, single digit temps and piles of snow are preventing me from doing it until the weather improves. The front end has to go up 2" to give adequate clearance for the B.A.T.'s. I need the truck on the road asap. So until I can install the spacers and new shocks I think I came up with a temporary fix. I'm thinking of puting air adjustable shocks up front and pumping enough air pressure to raise the front exactly 2". I put the new tires on and will measure from level ground to the top of the fender then pump the shocks up 2". They don't make air adjustable shocks for the front of any vehicle. The Monroe site explains that because air adjustable shocks are usually tee'd together which would make for scary cornering as the air shifts from one shock to the other. But I'm not going to tee them together. I'll have seperate air valves for each side. BTW, I used the Monroe catalog to get the specs for the stock front shocks then went to the back of the catalog that shows the specs for all their shocks including the air shocks and found a pair that have the same mounting configuration and approximately the same stroke. =A0=A0=A0=A0Ok, the questions:

  1. Does this sound like it will work temporarily?
  2. Any comments on using air adjustable shocks on the front of my ranger?
  3. After raising 2", either with the spacers or the air shocks, I'm going to need an alignment to take care of the toe-in that will occur. The shops arounf here all tell me I'll need upper tie rod bushings and/or cams to have enough adjusment for the alignment. I have a problem with that. First, I contacted the manufacterer of the lift kit (located in Montana, the only State where trucks like Big Foot, etc. can legally drive on the road....they know trucks!) and was told Ford offered a "Hi Rise" option on Rangers by adding a rear leaf spring and using 2" longer coil springs in the front with no other changes - the same as the kit I bought. And I verified that with my local Ford dealer The company I ordered the kit from also told me that if the shop I take it to says that because of that kit installed they couldn't allign it properly then I should not let that shop do the work. They also said that there, that's about the first thing people do on two wheel drive Rangers because a mere 2 inch lift requires no other mods. Whereas any higher kits require adjustment cams, longer pitman arms, lots of bushings, etc. Sounds clear to me, how about you guys?
  4. The coil spring spacers raise the front exactly 2". If I use air shocks to raise it also exactly 2", when I do replace the air shocks with the spring spacers will I need it aligned again?
  5. Do you think ride quality will be negatively affected with air adjustable shocks up front? I don't think so because I put them on the rear of my Chrysler New Yorker 5th avenue and even with 90 to 100 PSI the ride is actually better.
  6. If the air adjustable shocks work out fine, ie; I like the ride, a front end alignment straightens things out, can I just leave it that way without replacing them with the spacers, or should I replace them with the spacers and the appropriate Rancho shocks for that application? Thanks in advance, Jay To reply by email change the addres from .not to .net
Reply to
Marsh Monster

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marsh Monster" Newsgroups: alt.trucks.ford Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 10:23 AM Subject: Re: Lifting a Ranger with air shocks

No. The air shocks were only $35.00 a pair.

No. See above

I won't miss a lousy $35.00 if it works.

Ah ha! Now you're getting close to actually answering my question. Why would I be sorry?

Let's see....20 minutes to throw a set of front shocks on versus

3-4+ hours to disassemble/reassemble springs, spacers, calipers, shocks, etc. Kind of a no brainer there.

Well really more like a quarter of a thought, but I do appreciate the response. Been reading this group for a while and I know you give a lot of helpful answers. This just wasn't one of them. I do love your cocky attitude though, kind of reminds me of me. lol

Thanks, Jay

Reply to
Jay

. ====== ====== Subject: Re: Lifting a Ranger with air shocks "Marsh Monster" was curious when he asked Jaybird this........

Would'nt it be cheaper to rent a storage space at a local storage rental yard?

One with electricity to run yer rented heater would be nice.

Then you wouldn't be wasting money on those air adjustable shocks that you're gonna be sorry that you put on .......IN THE SAME WEATHER THAT YOU DIDN'T WANT TO PUT THE SPACERS ON in..........

jest a thought

marshmonster ~:~ ======= ======= snipped-for-privacy@comcast.not (Jay) chirped in troll like glee....as he went tweet tweet tweet........while peck'n on ole Marsh's head with this......

answ.#1 No. The air shocks were only $35.00 a pair. I won't miss a lousy $35.00 if it works.

(as to being sorry) Ah ha! Now you're getting close to actually answering my question. Why would I be sorry?

Let's see....20 minutes to throw a set of front shocks on versus 3-4+ hours to disassemble/reassemble springs, spacers, calipers, shocks, etc. Kind of a no brainer there.

Well really more like a quarter of a thought, but I do appreciate the response. Been reading this group for a while and I know you give a lot of helpful answers. This just wasn't one of them. I do love your cocky attitude though, kind of reminds me of me. lol

Thanks, Jay ======= ======= hey......Rock'n Robbin dude.......

if you've got the tools to do the job like you said......why is it going to take you 3-4 hours?

and...... if you can't do the spacers any quicker than that......i'd lay money on the fact that you ain't nev'r gonna get dem shocks on in 20 minutes!!

as a matter of fact.... i know you ain't gonna get em on in 20 minutes, so you better jest wait it out till the summer thaw.....huh?

How do I know? cuz .....

I COULD'NT DO IT IN 20 MINUTES IN A WARM SHOP.........

and I'm a better technician than you are... and I definately got ALL THE TOOLS... and A LIFT.... and A COMPRESSOR and A TORCH in case the bolts is froze up from all that road salt.

so......

maybe you should take a drink...or two..or three...or maybe get good and snockered and rethink this little spur-of-the-moment brain fart you're have'n.

CUZ THE SHOCKS IS GONNA BUST ON YOU ....even if you do get em on.

which you ain't ...cuz you gonna get cold and quit right in the middle of the job.

by the way... you can rent a heater for bout $20 a day... a storage shed for about $50 a month...

you think maybe you could get those spacers on that you really want....in a day...with all the right tools???

hopefully helpfull....

MARSH MONSTER ~thinks yer want'n perfection at a discount~ ======= =======

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Jay Good questions, I've wondered why they don't make air shocks for front ends too. Monroe's explanation about shifting air pressures and handling problems due to both shocks being linked makes sense. It seems like your idea of airing them up individually but to the same pressures would work though especially if you have the 4.0 (you didn't say) due to the much heavier weight than a 4 banger. But I don't know. Good thinking about using the catalog to cross reference specs and mounting configurations. If you go that way please post your experiences. You probably won't get any reliable responses here since they don't make front applications so I doubt anyone has tried it. Good luck with that or I hope it warms up soon where you are so you can do it the right way like you want to. Harry

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous."

Reply to
Harry D

In the late 60's and through the 70's:

you could buy a kit to individually air each shock, to not have the imbalance effect. The problem being, the Ranger front at the top has the studs bolted into a frame that's a bit more than 1/8" steel.

With all this weight now applied to this pin, as you hit bumps, the frame will flex and bend in and out at the depression where the stud is bolted to. Hence, you will have a cracked frame. The way to solve this problem is:

1: Bend a steel 3/16" bracket about 1.5"'s widelong enough to, bolt it to the top stud, and make it bend in to contact the frame about three inches up. (Like a Z configuration)

2: Drill a 3/8" hole through the bracket and frame, making sure not to be polish and drill through brake lines or gas lines. (Wires can be fixed easily) (you have my blessings to be a butcher in doing it this way)

3: get 2 grade 8 bolts 3/8" x 1-1/2" fine with 2 grade 8 nuts and four external star washers, and bolt the bracket to the frame. (make sure the bracket runs the same axis that the shock will be traveling!)

4: Now connect your air lines, lift it the 2"'s and find you have about 2 to

2.5 degrees of posative camber, and there won't be a set of camber bushings available to bring the camber within specs.

5: Now contact my self or another guy who knows what the hell he's talking about, like Marshy. Get us to put in the spacers, realign it, and find there still isn't a set of bushings available to correct the camber.

6A: If it's a stamped axle, we'll have to call you and tell you we have to heat the axle and bend it a bit. To give you the desired camber.

6B: If it's a forged axle, we'll have to call you and tell you: "We'll have to get out the Ford Twin I Beam axle bending kit.

6C: You'll bitch about the extra price, but we'll have a signed work order and release telling you that there will be problems in doing this modification.

How do I know, I did plenty!

I hope this answered your question more to the point?

Sincerely,

Refinish King

PS

Did you get the extended brake hoses for the front and rear?

Reply to
Refinish King

Not a troll. Just asking a question and (still) looking for a legitimate answer.

Just a guesstimate. I'll have to unbolt and tie up the brake calipers (I'll also throw new pads on while I'm in there and, after checking the rotors with my micrometer, will either turn them on my lathe or run to the store and replace them), unbolt the shocks, try to bust the top nuts on those 3/4-10 bolts loose, remove the bottom spring retainers, washers, and nuts, lower the axle, rotate and remove the springs from the upper retainers (which I have already soaked with WD-40 to make it easier), attach the spring compressor (yes, I have one of those) and compress the spring enough to get the spacer and retainer hardware back in place, work the bottom bolt back in then screw the bolt extender on the end of it (of course, as my luck would have it, my Ranger is one of the few that needs this piece), then, in reverse order, reassemble it all, and put the tires back on. And all this on both sides. Add in a pee break or two and maybe one or two of them there drinks you refer to later on and I'd say 3 hours is a pretty fair estimate

You're right. Probably closer to 15 minutes. The vehicle is already up on jack stands, the tires are off, and I've already WD-40'd and cracked loose the top nuts and bottom bolts on both shocks, just to make sure they weren't going to be a battle. Plus I have the tubing and schraeder valves installed on the air shocks. If it takes me more than 15 minutes then I'll have to use both hands ; )

See above.

Oh sure you could. See above.

That's entirely possible but it's a statement neither of us can honestly make since we don't know each other or each other's history.

You are very lucky. I certainly don't have them all but it's been a long time since I've needed something I don't have.

I don't have one of those, sure wish I did!

I do have that stuff but the torch and road salt aren't an issue because I meticulously maintain and clean all my vehicles. My Ranger is normally kept in my 2 1/2 car garage alongside my wife's car. However until I finish my truck and hitch up the trailer, the motorcycles and snowmobiles that need to go back to our other house are in the way.

I've been known to enjoy a drink or two but I don't get snockered....too many responsibilities. And if you re-read my original post you'll notice I approached the entire issue in a pretty well thought out and researched manner.

Ok, that's the second time in two posts you came close to actually answering one of my questions. Reminds me of a joke; How many threads does it take Marsh Monster to answer one post? Answer: One. He just has to admit he doesn't know the answer. Which isn't an insult, because I may be the only person who has thought to figure out which rear shock would fit on the front of a vehicle. Why would a shock, an air adjustable shock that is specifically made to level the rear of a truck under changing, heavy loads, "bust" under a relatively constant load that weighs less than what the bed of my truck is rated to carry? I read the door stickers, I know.

I do take breaks when I get too cold, I'm only human. In fact the only reason I have the time to post this and hope for an intelligent answer is because I'm stuck in the house with the flu.

Or I could use my friends heated garage for free. Getting the truck there with no front tires on it is the hard part. Especially if a $35.00 pair of shocks would get me by in the mean time. Or even just get me to his heated garage. I guess in the absence of any legitimate answers I'll just have to try it and see. I'll let you know how it works out. Unless it thaws a bit while I'm housebound and I'm able to do the job right and in one shot.

Definitely. In fact, as I stated above, probably in about 3 - 4 hours.

Hardly, but you tried your best and I appreciate it.

Jay ~Thinks there's more than one way to skin a cat but won't know till he tries. In other words, keeps an open mind~

Reply to
Harry D

Oops, my mistake. I was responding to Harry by email before I wrote my response to Marsh Monster. Accidently pasted the wrong info when trying to spam proof my address. Appologies to the group.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

You had me at this paragraph. I hadn't thought about all that weight on that small piece of steel. Thank you for pointing that out to me. That's all I was looking for, an answer. And a much better one than Marsh Monster eventually gave about the shock breaking. I knew that was wrong.

I asked a simple question and you answered it directly by the second paragraph. Points 1 through 6C weren't really necessary. BTW, it's a '94, no Twin I Beam.

I haven't, that's why I asked. I was always taught that you learned by asking questions. Now I've learned that you can still get answers by asking questions...you just have to sift through all the smart ass remarks first. Notice that my original post was very non-inflammatory. That's why I was surprised it took all these posts just to get what you wrote so easilly in one paragraph above. Doesn't really make sense does it?

It certainly did. Thank you.

Don't need them for 2" lift on this year/model. Brake hose part number is the same as for Ford's Hi Rise model Ranger on which the only changes were 2" taller coil springs and an extra leaf out back w/15" wheels.

Thanks, Jay

Reply to
Jay

By no means was I trying to be inflamatory!

Marsh hit it on the head too, but he didn't explain about where the break would occour. We do this stuff for a living, and I'm sure he's seen enoug gas shocks break the frames, from the weekend cowboys beating on their trucks.

But, I can tell you this. Alognments will be a nightmare unless you find an alignment shop with the propper axle/frame correction ezuipment. Which will put the axle or frame in a position where it will be alignable, and have enough fudge room to align it again in the future.

I'm glad to be of assistance.

Refinish King

message

Reply to