Light Acceleration Hesitation

I have a 1988 F350 4x4 with a 5.8l 351W. Anytime I drive the truck I have a hesitation on light acceleration but not when I put the pedal down. I ran the test for trouble codes and it tells me I am running rich (which I can smell). The check engine light comes on after about 20 minutes of steady driving or 10 minutes of stop and go. I have replaced several parts within my EGR system (EGR valve, EVP sensor, EGR vacuum solenoid) with no help. I thought that I placed the vacuum lines on the EGR vacuum solenoid backwards so I swapped them and all it did was make the truck idle lower. I have no vacuum leaks and my hoses are good. I am stumped with this and I want to know if anyone has had a similar problem. Any help would be appreciated.

JPF snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
JPF

JPF, did you pull the codes out of the computer before you replaced the parts or are you guessing?

You neeed to pull the codes and get a GOOD manual to tell you the test procedure and clear up the check engine light problem if possible. Richness can be caused by leaky injectors as well as EGR problems.

Reply to
Fred Mehlos

I had EGR codes (egr opening not detected, below closed limits) before I replaced the parts, once replaced I cleared my codes and got the runs rich code. You said leaky injectors? At on point I pulled one injector and the plastic piece by the nozzle(cap or hat?) was cracked. I havn't been able to look at the rest but could that cause the injectors to leak.

JPF

Reply to
JPF