Lockers or Full spool or mini-spool 1980 Bronco

I have a 1980 Full size Bronco with the four speed with granny gear. I am getting ready to install a 3" lift and 35" tires and I have heard several comments about whether to use lockers or spools. I have ridden in a truck that had a EZ locker with an automatic trans. and there seemed to be alot clunking noises and minor jerking in the rearend when braking or turning a curve. I think that this symptoms would be worse with a manual trans. mini spools are cheap but I don't know how reliable they are. Full spools seems to be the way to go because everything I have read says it is stronger and your vehicle is very predictable once you get used to driving with both wheels turning at once. Other than wearing tires quicker and the front not turning as responsive under torque conditions, (which would not be locked under street conditions because of manual hubs) is there any reason to go with a locker over the full spool, and are mini spools worth going with over full spools. Any suggestions mini-spool 29.00 to 40.00 full spool

129.00 to 149.00 E-Z lockers or lock right 229.00 to 239.00. I have a 9" rearend with dana 44 ttb frontend. Under 100.00 for both axles I would like that but I would spend 280.00 for stronger axles
Reply to
Marvin

If you run any kind of spool on the street, you are most likely going to break something. Go with an locker or limited slip.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

As Matt said go with a locker or limited slip. The reason being as you make a turn your real wheels do the one wheel has less power driven to it. With a spool you have constant power to both wheels which throw the vehicles axis off and you will break your axle after not to long as you'll have a hell of a noise when you turn.

Look in an air or electric locker some $$$ but worth it if your going do some serious off roading. Otherwise you can't go wrong with a limited slip.

I have True Trac LS in both my rear and front axle.

Hope this helps.

Tim

you can also get a lot of info off

Tim G

FWIW I have a lock-rite in both axles of my '86 F150, and I don't have any problems on the street as long as the tires are aired up properly and I make an effort not to apply too much torque while cornering. The most noticable trait is on long sweeping curves, where alternating between coasting and power will switch from over-steer to under-steer.

Also, lock-rites & ez lockers aren't recomended for tires over 35". There's a lot of leverage on those little teeth.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Conolly