Loose Steering in 94 F150

The steering is loose in my 94 F150 (302, 2wd, reg cab, long box, ps,pb,ac).

I've checked the steering column for worn couplings and everything is fine. Replaced tie-rods and drag link components last month. It seems that it is the steering box itself that is the culprit. Accoring to the manual, the sector shaft on steering box can be adjusted. (I'm assuming that this will take out the play)

Has anyone adjusted one of these before? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks. mike

Reply to
Mike

The gearbox can be adjusted. This is the over center preload. It is adjusted by loosening the lock nut on top of the gearbox and turning the screw clockwise. The gotchas are only adjust in 1/4 turn increments at most. If you get it too tight, it will not have any self return to straight after a turn. You cannot back off the adjustment to correct this. The adjustment is a one way deal. You can back it off but it may have already caused internal damage. The reason is that you have hydraulic assist to turn and cannot "feel" the fact that it is too tight and damaging the internals. It is normal for the gearbox to have what appears to be too much lash with the engine off even when it is adjusted too tight. Now, before you go for the gearbox adjustment, make sure the slack is not in the tilt column. They sometimes work loose and need to be tightened - the gearbox has nothing to do with this. You may need a second pair of hands and eyes to find this.

Good luck Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut