LOSS POWER, ROUGH ACCL, STALLING

I have a 1983 Ford F-150 with a 4.9L inline 6cyl. with a 1BBL Carter Carburetor, 2WD, 4-speed Manual. The primary problem occurs when I lift of the accelerator and the truck begins to slow it starts missing or lurching acting like it is going to stall and I have to feather the throttle to keep if from dying, but when I'm setting at a stop light in idle it runs okay. Once I accelerate again it starts missing or lurching again all they way up the powerband. Additionally after the truck is up to operating temprature and I turn the engine off it will not start unless I let it sit for at least 15-20 minutes??? know it isn't the starter or the flywheel. I have replaced the spark plugs, PCV vavle, air filter, fuel filter, crankcase filter, distributor & rotor and the problem didn't improve at all. I have ruled out the motor mounts or the clutch as causes for the lurching or missing on both acceleration and deacceleration. Other hopefully useful information, I can smell what I think is a over rich gasoline odor from the exhaust. So my final guess is the carburetor is dying on me and/or the EGR valve is malfuntioning or something else beyond my knowledge level. I have thought of putting on a new Holley Carb rather than going through a complete rebuild of the existing carb but if it isn't the carb that is quite a waste of money. Okay nuff said, any suggestions????

Reply to
crashtestdummy

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 10:08:07 -0800, crashtestdummy rearranged some electrons to form:

Have you checked the timing?

Reply to
David M

I would go with the carb replacement... Sounds to me like the float is sticking and not getting enough fuel to the engine.. Additionally, the no start problem could be fuel evaporating from the fuel bowl and the fuel line.. I put clothes pins on the fuel line of any car that has a metal line from the pump to the carb..

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 23:39:41 -0600, Ford Tech rearranged some electrons to form:

No, it's RICH... he says he can smell fuel in the exhaust.

Not likely in 15 minutes.

Hmmm... I guess your computer is on a low-carb diet.

Reply to
David M

rebuild the carterburator , a "complele" rebuild of a 1bbl isn't that bad at all.

Reply to
samstone

Its a cheap easy build but the carb is over 20 years old, and the throttle shaft bore is going to be worn. The carbs are cheap enough to make it worth just replacing.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning