Manual trans f/'93 F-150

I have a '93 F-150 with a 300 I-6 and the E4OD auto transmission. When I got the truck, it had been thoroughly abused and modifications had been made which were supposedly for high-performance gains. Why anyone would do these mods on a 6 cylinder is beyond me, but they have manage to seriously f-up the tranny. As a result, I have to swap the tranny so I decided to install a manual. My question is, which trannys will work with my I-6 (beyond the obvious-"take one from another truck with the same etc...)? Is there a hydraulic clutch unit that can be readily adapted to my applications?

TIA

Moon

Reply to
sew1

Given the fuel thirstiness of the 300 cid, I would look for the old over drive four speed Ford was using in the early to mid 80's. Its basically a 3 speed with an over drive, and she was a top loader truck tranny. Its not that hard to put a linkage clutch set up in, The model was T170F (78-84), in cast iron, T170FS(80-83) in aluminum, and the T1170FT (84-84) also aluminum. From 88 to present the F-150 has been using the M5R2 manufactured by Mazda,

96 they changed the integral bell housing to work with the 4.6L odd ball starter bolt pattern. There is also the ZF S650, a six speed manual designed for ford Super duty, but I don't know if it will bolt up to the 300. The newer ones are going to be set up for hydraulic clutch so its just a matter of grabbing the correct clutch master and plumbing. As to mods on a 6 banger, I suggest you look at Clifford Performance, Hudsons made a lot of V-8s look really sick on race tracks. So did Pontiac's overhead six back in the mid to late 70's, as well as Jeep's Tornado over head six. More cylinders isn't always the answer. Whitelightning
Reply to
Whitelightning

The Trannies used with the 302 and 351 will fit, but don't use the flywheel from those as it's got a factory imbalance to it. They used two 5-speed transmission in the late 80's and 90's. The heavy duty unit (think 351) was made by ZF and there was a mazda tranny used for lighter duty (think 300 or

302). The ZF comes in a 460 version and a diesel version which won't fit the six. The clutches are hydraulic on all these.
Reply to
Joe