Manual transmission oil for Aerostar (Ranger?)

Haynes specs ATF for Aerostar 5-speed manual transmission, but a tranny shop said the ATF is for another 5-speed that came with the Aerostar, and that they'd replaced it with a Ranger tranny, and they used 80W90 (something like that, it was many years ago when the oil ran out of the plugs at the top of the tranny and the input shaft seized).

I don't see any markings on the tranny (don't know where to look), it looks somewhat like the Mazda 5-speed. I want to put synthetic in it, since the van is trucking along despite all predictions to the contrary.

- what oil: ATF, 80W90...?

- synthetic OK for the seals?

Thanks.

Reply to