Max expected EGT under load

Hi all,

I have a 99 F350 4x4 dualie diesel longbed that I use to tow a 5th wheel. I recently added some gauges to watch the tranny temp, and installed a auxillary tranny cooler. I asked about all this here a couple of years ago, and finally got around to installing the cooler. Another recomendation was to use synthetic in the tranny. Thanks for all the help.

Okay, as for transmission temps, they are pretty amazing. I never saw the temp go over about 180, and this was in a 100 degree day, pulling the 9k# fifth wheel up a 10% grade. THe tranny never broke a sweat. Typical temp was <150.

However, one of the guages I installed was a EGT gauge. I put it after the turbo (I know, I should have put it before), but it's after. My typical EGT range in standard driving (no load) is between 500 to 750 degrees. On that long 10% grade under load, it went to about 1050. Started making me nervous, but I have no idea what kind of range of temp is okay.

So, at what point should I get worried? I went from a tranny overheating to worrying about the engine EGT.

thanks for any help,

Fred

Reply to
Fred

You installed EGT the wrong place because it needs to be before turbo and as close to head exhaust port as possible to be accurate. The gas cools several hundred degrees going thru turbo and expanding and it is safe to assume that you were at 1300 and above in exhaust ports which is the danger area. (at 1400 you are toasting it) If you keep probe in current place I would limit temps to about 900 max because even then you are likley around 1200 or better which is a temp you really do not want to exceed on a long pull.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

From Geno's Garage website here for a 99-02 Ford X-Monitor EGT gauge:

I found this: "- The exhaust temperatures are monitored with a pyrometer probe inserted in the exhaust flow. The probe can be mounted before or after the turbocharger. If mounted after the turbo, the temperatures will vary from 300° F to 1000° F. If mounted before the turbo, temperatures of 300° F to 1200° F will be normal working levels. Select the temperatures that should not be exceeded, and the numbers will flash when it is attained. Kit includes gauge mount."

Reply to
Greg Surratt