Mazda B4000 thermostat question

How do I know if my thermostat is working?

1997 Mazda B4000; 4.0 L V6; 5-speed, 4WD; I bought it used in January; have put only 1,000 miles on it since.

Drive the truck to/from work, 1.5 miles, engine never really warms up so I don't know what a normal temp gauge reading is.

Yesterday drove 100 miles one way to join 160,000 of my closest friends at the Bristol race. Up and back them temp gauge never went above 1/4 to 1/3 scale. I am accustomed to temp gauge running at half scale or slightly higher.

Does this indicate thermostat is bad?

How do I check the thermostat other than watching the temp gauge?

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe S.

You have a fairly big radiator with lots of airflow through it. Probably not unusual for it to take 10 miles to warm up.

I had a 93 but had the 2.3 4 cylinder, I had to put cardboard in front of the radiator to get it to warm up at all in winter.

The good thing is it should never overheat.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

We have a 94 Ranger Super with the 2.3 4 liter and the temp gauge only makes it to 1/2 on days where it's 100 or more outside. I've also had to do the cardboard thing on the few really cold days we have in upstate South Carolina. The engine has never run hot in 201,000 + miles of one-family driving.

My son and I just put a new thermostat in while doing the timing belt a few weeks ago (it's his truck now :) ) and the temp gauge reads the same.

Reply to
Jerry Michelson

This might have been factual back in the "good ole days" but a 1997 vehicle should warm up to operating temperature fairly quickly...much much sooner that 10 miles. Such an engine would be extremely inefficinent and would be wasting fuel. As long as the computer sees that the engine is cold, it runs in a choke condition.

I would assume your temperature gauge is incorrect. It's barely better than an idiot light even when working. If your temps are really running cool, your thermostat is probably defective. Your truck should run in the 195 degree range.

Reply to
Advocate

My '94 B4000 with 4.0 V-6 does not get very hot either. My B4000 only goes about 1/4 to 1/3, even on 100 deg. plus days with a/c on. Makes no difference if in city or hiway driving. The thermostat is OEM from FORD. I tested it in hot water, with a candy thermometer, to confirm the proper functionality of the thermostat. I even installed a brand new replacement thermostat and had no change in the results. I assume that it is functioning the way it was designed to function.

Reply to
Clay