Mazda B4000 transmission question

97 B4000, 5-spd, 4WD, 4.0L V6.

Bought the truck used in January 2006 to replace old, reliable Nissan lost in Hurricane Katrina. The B4000 had 89,000 miles. About three months after I bought it, I noticed that after driving 10-15 miles, became bery difficult to shift into 1st or 2nd gears -- shifting up or down. Problem became worse and worse until it was so bad that I was afraid I would break the stick I had to shove so hard to get it into

1st or 2nd.

I had purchased an extended warranty with the truck so the dealer replaced the transmission. After about three months, the same problem emerged, only this time it affected only 2nd gear. Did not matter if I was just starting off or had driven a few miles -- shifting up from

1st or down from any other gear, shifting into 2nd was damn near impossible.

The gears did not grind -- it felt as thought there was no gear there

-- when I tried to pull it into 2nd, the stick just stopped as though it was jamming into something.

I took it back to the dealer. The insurance company told them to tear down the transmission and check for signs of abuse. I did not abuse the truck -- it was a daily driver, little use of 4WD, took good care of it. Dealer found metal shavings in the transmission and the service manager told me it looked as though a bearing in the transmission was badly worn. The insurance company paid for it and the dealer has rebuilt the transmission.

I am on the road and will not pick up the truck for a week.

Here's my question: Is it possible that the problem is not in the transmission?? Could it be that the transmission, or the rear end, or maybe the driveshaft is out of round, or out of alignment, or some other strange malady that is ruining the transmission??

I'm thinking that as soon as I get the truck back, I'll sell it while it's running good and get a new Ranger.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

It kinda sounds like the clutch is not releasing properly and your effort have been spent in wrong area. If clutch does not release properly it can act just like this at times because syncos cannot match gears speed for them to mesh and will resist engagement at times. Try varing RPM during shift to see if it changes shift effort. Is so, it is in the clutch.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
Mark Schofield

Mark Schofield

Picked up the truck from dealer yesterday. Transmission shifts as smoothly and precisely as I've ever seen a transmission shift -- feels almost like a sports car, not a truck.

Dealer tore down the transmission that was installed by the insurance company, found metal shavings and worn shit -- and this was supposed to be a rebuilt unit. Dealer found non-Mazda parts throughout the "rebuilt" unit. Insurance company paid for the dealer's transmission guy to rebuild it using Mazda parts -- they replaced everything but the case and linkage. The guy who rebuilt it told me the "rebuilt" unit from the insurance company was worst POS he's ever seen.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names