Mazda (Ranger) pickup question

I just purchased a 1997 Mazda B4000, 4.0L V6, 4WD, 5-speed -- I have some questions and hope someone here can help.

If you have a similar truck, Mazda or Ranger:

  1. What is your clutch life? When did you replace clutch plate or clutch master or slave cylinders?
  2. As I understand it, the transmission has to come out to replace the clutch slave cylinder -- right?
  3. The owner's manual does not say anything about this -- but -- do I need to put it into 4WD every so often to keep the transfer case seals and front hubs lubricated, or, are they lubricated sufficiently in normal operation? I don't do a lot of 4WD.
  4. I don't see anything in the owner's manual about valve adjustment so I assume the truck has hydraulic lifters and I don't need to worry about valve adjustments ( I'm an old VW Beetle owner and valve adjustments are key to keeping the Beetle engine happy ).

Any other comments?

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe S.

Depends on your driving habit and rear end ratio. 50k to 150K

Right

No, makes no difference

No valve adjustment

Good engine. Reasonably well built truck.

Reply to
JimV

Here's another question. One of the lamps that illuminates the instrument cluster is burned out. How do I replace it -- I have not examined the instrument cluster but I guess (I hope) I'll find a few screws to remove, pull the clear cover, reach up and swap the bulbs. On the other hand - - -

Reply to
Joe S.

You have to remove the cluster, but it's not very hard. The speedo is not cable driven, so the cluster comes out very easy.

I did my 97 Ranger 6 months ago and it took about 30 minutes. What you want to do is replace EVERY bulb while you have it out. That way you're not replacing a different one every 6 months.

CJB

Reply to
CJB