Mileage question on the 4.6L

I'm considering trading my 95 F-150 with the 351, now the truck is a

4x4 long box, xtra cab, I'm looking at a 4x4 xtra cab with the 4.6l. Should I notice a dramastic difference for the better in mileage,? The new truck is a 2000. And is there naything to watch with these motors? Thanks, Chad
Reply to
chadk

Re: >"I'm considering trading my 95 F-150

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well,for what it's worth,according to the EPA ratings your 5.8 was

12/16 (City/highway) with auto trans and the 4.6(2000) was 14/18 so expect a couple more MPG if these figures are correct.But remember that these were for when both trucks were new.My experience with the 5.8 was that they were not good mileage design(intake too large I believe).Don't know about the 4.6 peculiarities. Ref:
Best...Brian O. ********************
Reply to
Brian Orion

Thanks Brian. I'm going to look at the truck tonight, just wanted to make sure that they couldn't be any worse on fuel. I'm in Canada and at times fuel is topping 90 cents a litre so that hurts the old wallet.

Chad

Brian Ori> Re:

believe).Don't

Reply to
chadk

I have a 99 F150 XLT SC SB 4X4 4.6l with 265/75/16 BFG AT T/A tires. In mostly city driving I get about 16-18l/100 km. I have gotten as good as

14.5l/100km highway. I did a 4500km round trip with about 600 lbs in the box, pulling a small trailer of about 800 lbs with two adults and a 100lb blonde fool of a dog. There was not much flat terrain between Vancouver and Muncho Lake on the Alaska highway and we still got about 16l/100 kms over the trip. 300 Kms was in 4x4 and much of that was at 60kmh or less through a snowstorm.

I did the identical trip with a 94 F150 regular cab LB with 4.9l 6cyl

2wd minus the trailer and a little less gear and I got a tiny bit better milage. No comparison in the drive though. The 4.6 is a great engine with lots of power over a good power band and pretty decent milage.

Great truck!

Stephen

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

Reply to