MLP sensor

I just picked up a new MLP sensor kit for my 1993 F150 with the E4OD tranny. The kit includes the sensor , 2 rubber moisture insulators ( one with 7 holes, the other with six ) and a connector plug that separates revealing a another moisture insulator ( with 8 holes ). Apparantly, the wires from the old connector plug have to be transferred to this new plug. No instructions were included.

Before I attempt this job - Is there any soldering required here or do the individual wires just plug in somehow?

Reply to
gil

You ned to match the conductors to the same position as in your old one. If you look closely in the end, youwill see it has an insert in it to lock the conductors in place. Use the tip of your knife or similar tool to work the insert out to release the conductors. They can then be pushe through the block. If you push the block bacl up onto the harness, you can insert the terminals into the new block and seals. Once they are in the proper location, you can use pliers to break the old block off the harness and put the locking insert in the new one. Of course, you can always transfer the conductors one at a time if you like. There is no soldering to be done. You must use the new parts to make it watertight and prevent corrosion. You may want to get some dielectric tuneup grease and coat the terminals and the inside of the block as a bit of insurance against moisture.

Reply to
lugnut

the instruction sheet explains it all

you reach up into each wire cavity with a very-small-bladed-screwdriver and release the wire

best way is to release them and pull them out the business end of the old connector, and use the old connector as a guide to where they go in the new connector.........the colors stated on the instruction sheet bear NO resemblance to the real colors

when done, crush the old connector to bits with channel-loc's and remove the pieces

instructions

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I have started the job but its getting dark out so I'll finish it tommorow so I can get this thing on the road. Sorry to be a pain but no instructions were provided with the part so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Its a little hard to visualize without a diagram.

I unplugged the connector from the MLP sensor. Removed the plastic cap from the connector and slid it up the harness. Pryed up the rubber insert from the connector and slid it up the harness ( I presume these parts have to be cut off ). Now I can see the wires as they enter the harness. Each individual wire is being held to the harness.

1) Next I should stick a small screwdriver into each wire cavity ( release each wire? ) and push the wire through until it comes out the other end. Is this correct?

2) Slide the connector up the wires. Thread the new plastic end cap onto the wires. Same for the new rubber insert. Match each wire to the new connector and push it in ( presumably it will lock ). Slide the rubber insert down to seal the wire cavity. Same with the end cap.

Now all that is left is to break the old connector and replace the sensor.

Is this the correct procedure?

instructions

Reply to
gil

you need to take out the insert (usually red) that is between the rows of contacts where it plugs onto the MLP switch

instructions

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

release the wire

This is the part where I'm running into trouble. Those wires are locked in good. Its hard to tell how the wires are locked into the connector.

Reply to
gil

I got the rubber seal out and also removed the red part from the front of the connector. But those wires are still locked in.

Reply to
gil