More running starter symptoms...

When I jump the "S" terminal with battery voltage with the ignition switch in the off position the motor cranks, and I'm pretty certain that I can hear the starter gear snap back when the jumper is removed. However, if I start the engine, remove the control wire from the "S" terminal, and jump it - there is no change in the sound. It sounds like the starter is turning all the time, and jumping it does not produce the expected noises that one expects to hear when engaging the starter while the engine is running.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Autrey

Anonymous

If you're trying to engage the starter with the motor running as a test you will damage something. Bad idea. If the drive is engaged with the motor running you can usually hear it. You hear a whine as the motor revs up and the drive will burn up very quickly. If the starter relay is stuck this can happen, but you would notice it because that starter would keep turning the engine over when you shut the key off. Sometimes burrs on the flywheel from bad engagement can hold the drive out there too. Why are you asking and what did you do, if anything, that might cause a problem?

Reply to
eddy eagle

| > Obviously, you probably don't have experience in troubleshooting. | > Shotgunning parts will get pretty expensive. | >

| > The starter relay on the fender is just a switch. When you apply 12V to | > the small "S" terminal, then the switch closes, and current flows through | > the two large terminals. When there is no voltage on the "S" terminal | > then the switch opens... unless the contacts are welded shut due to | > continuous operation. | >

| > First, disconnect the battery "+" cable at the battery. | > Next, remove the two heavy cables | > from the starter relay. Using your ohmmeter, measure the resistance | > between the two large terminals. With everything off (which it has to be, | > with the battery disconnected!) you should read an open circuit (infinite | > resistance). | | Check. Reads open circuit. | | > Now, with the battery "-" (ground) still connected, connect | > a jumper between the battery "+" and the small "S" terminal on the relay. | > You should hear a load "Click" as the relay closes. The resistance | > between the two large terminals of the relay should now read less than 1 | > ohm. | | Check. Resistance moved around a little. Settled at .1 | | > Remove the jumper at the "S" terminal and the relay should open back | > up (another click) and the resistance should now be back at "open | > circuit". | | Check. | | > If this test is not successful then you have a bad starter relay. | >

| > > Bob | > >

| > Version: 6.0.690 / Virus Database: 451 - Release Date: 5/22/2004| | | If you're trying to engage the starter with the motor running as a | test you will damage something. Bad idea. | If the drive is engaged with the motor running you can usually hear | it. You hear a whine as the motor revs up and the drive will burn up | very quickly. If the starter relay is stuck this can happen, but you | would notice it because that starter would keep turning the engine | over when you shut the key off. | Sometimes burrs on the flywheel from bad engagement can hold the drive | out there too. | Why are you asking and what did you do, if anything, that might cause | a problem?

For more info on this thread, refer to thread: "Starter keeps running & burns up!!!"

Reply to
Bobby

On Mon, 24 May 2004 02:02:06 +0000, Bob Autrey rearranged some electrons to form:

Uh, Bob... when the engine is running, and you put battery voltage on the "S" terminal of the relay, what do think is going to happen? The starter is going to turn.

Reply to
David M

Bob I don't think you are understand the question.

Reply to
user

Reply to
JDApollo

Joe is right. Listen to the quite unassumeing people, when they speak it is the best thought out remarks.

Reply to
JDApollo