Near rollover problems

I have a 95' Econoline e-150 and it has a high-top raised roof. The problem I am having is excessive body roll on the interstate when lane changes are made. I fear making an evasive maneuver due to the rollover potential. I have checked the shocks, they are stiff, but they are not the highest quality that can be bought. Would Bilstein shocks improve on this problem? What else can I do to cut down on the body roll? The van only has 40k miles on it and do not want to sell it but I am very concerned about this safety issue.

Thanks TM

Reply to
TM

||I have a 95' Econoline e-150 and it has a high-top raised roof. The problem ||I am having is excessive body roll on the interstate when lane changes are ||made. I fear making an evasive maneuver due to the rollover potential. I ||have checked the shocks, they are stiff, but they are not the highest ||quality that can be bought. Would Bilstein shocks improve on this problem?

Yes, at the expense of a harder ride. Worth it, im hy opinion.

||What else can I do to cut down on the body roll?

Get a swaybar kit from Addco.

Rex Burkheimer

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Before I knew better, I bought a set of tires with max inflation of 35 psi. The ones that came with the van were max 40 psi. I experienced similar sensations even without the high-raised roof. When I the time came to replace the tires I got better educated and found that the inflation made a big difference. So check your inflation. Maybe new, stiffer tires would help.

Reply to
Jim Samson

I just bought new tires a few weeks ago, it had tires with a higher ride height, they were commercial application tires but had a bulge on one of them so I replaced all 4. They were at least 5 years old and showed a little dry rot. The old tires called for 55 psi, however, these new tires call for

40 psi and they have helped a little but not much. I went back with the size the mfg called for but with a higher mileage rating. I check the air pressure weekly.

I do not think they should have put a high top on a 1/2 ton chassis IMHO, but I got a sweet deal on the van and my kids love it.

TM

Reply to
TM

I would do the following in this order:

  1. Heavy Duty Sway bars, front and especially rear.
  2. LT rated tires, capable of taking at least 55psi
  3. Shocks

I once had the opposite problem, a vehicle that rode too stiff and tried all of the above to help correct it. I think I have them in the right order to help with your problem. jp

Reply to
Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig