Need Help - Rough Idle on 1982 Ford f150 XL -302 engine

I have a 1982 Ford f150 that is experiencing a rought Idle. It also stalls about 10% of the time when I am stopped at an intersection or when Im lightly pressing the gas backing up. What should I check or do to make this problem go away.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lowline

Fuel filter/fuel pump/old worn-out carb. If you smell gas, check fuel hoses. Could be electrical: ignition module/coil/wiring at coil. I had similar problem with my '81. Turned out to be a factory defect in the wiring to the coil. The wire terminals were crushed and that cut most all the wire-strands feeding the coil....was working on about 4 strands. Put on new terminals.....been good ever since! This prolly isn't your problem though.....mine was back in '81.

So, either it's getting gas, but it isn't being fired or it's getting fire but no gas.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

I've also been doing some reading on this subject. It sounds like it could be an EGR valve that needs cleening or replacing or a vacuum leek. I'll check this out tonight. Any other Ideas. Looks like this one is trial and error. I'll look for the obvious first.

Reply to
Lowline