Need hotter spark plug than ASF42C

I have a 1983 ford van with a 351 engine. The standard plug is a ASF42C. The last 2 times the van started acting up I looked at the plugs first and they had the black sutty look, which indicates a possible need for a hotter plug. Before spending money on new electrics i would rather first try a hotter plug. Please give me a suggestion on what plug would be slightly hotter so I can give that a try first.. Thanks..

Reply to
AgaPSDIVER

|I have a 1983 ford van with a 351 engine. The standard |plug is a ASF42C. The last 2 times the van started acting up I looked |at the plugs first and they had the black sutty look, which indicates |a possible need for a hotter plug. Before spending |money on new electrics i would rather first try a hotter plug. |Please give me a suggestion on what plug would be slightly hotter so I |can give that a try first.. |Thanks..

In answer to your question, you would want a ASF52C. But don't do it. You have an overrich condition. Assuming you have a Motorcraft 2V carb, or the Holley, you probably need a new power valve. You can buy them separately. On the Ford it screws in from the bottom of the float bowl after removing a small plate. On the Holley you remove the front float bowl. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Why not just fix the over rich condition?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Fix the over-rich problem. Otherwise - the next time you post it will be about your valves.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara