New E250 vibration

I've taken delivery of my 3rd E250 cargo van. It has a strong vibration starting at about 35/40 mph and continues on till at least 70 mph. Strongest at 50/55 mph. My 2000 had the same problem and the dealer and Ford replaced it with a 2001 because they could not find the problem. The 2001 had the same vibration, but it was slight. This new van is the worst. I've read old postings here and on other sites and have seen the same problem listed. But no answer. The tires are Hankook, very hard and terrible in wet. They have been balanced twice, but not checked for out of round. Now the dealer wants to swap tires and wheels from another truck and see if that works. I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel, the seat, and gas pedal. The sound is also there and makes one feel like they have to pop their ears. In drive or overdrive makes no difference. Stronger with pressure on the gas. Seems to come on like a switch with a shift I feel, but it's not a gear shift. Very hard to analyse. Feels like driving on fine washboard. This is a NEW van. What's going on? Any help out there?

Reply to
spin

"spin" wrote: ( E250 cargo van )

My BRAND NEW van has a strong vibration starting at about

35/40 mph and continues on till at least 70 mph. Strongest at 50/55 mph. The tires have been balanced but not checked for out of round. The dealer wants to try swapping tires and wheels from another truck. I feel the vibration in the steering wheel, the seat, and the gas pedal. And the sound makes one feel like they have to pop their ears. In drive or overdrive makes no difference. Stronger with pressure on the gas. Seems to come on like a switch with a shift I feel, but it's not a gear shift. Very hard to analyze. Feels like driving on fine washboard. What's going on? Any help out there? _______________________________________________

A defective TCC type of torque converter will show all of those symptoms. Have a good transmission shop check it out for loose spline coupling, bad bearing, unbalanced rotor, worn clutch, bad clutch solenoid, frayed clutch solenoid wiring, bad transmission ground, intermittent signal to clutch, or mount misalignment of transmission to engine.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Reply to
spin

Nobody mentions have drive shaft ulled, its soints checked and balanced. I have seen a lot of vibrations problem that turn out to be drive shaft related. YOu need to do the above and make sure it is not the cause before you start chasing more gremlins.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
spin via CarKB.com

Reply to
spin via CarKB.com

"spin via CarKB.com" wrote

It was not the driveshaft!!! Now I need to push the tranny issue?

I have heard of one chattering TCC being tamed by just changing the fluid, and another by adding a slug of one of those trans tuneup additives. I don't know whether either story is true, but it might be worth a shot before tearing down the transmission. Ask the technician.

Good luck.

Rodan < - - - - - Throws parts and fluid at problems.

Reply to
Rodan

Reply to
spin via CarKB.com