New squeak

Hello all,

Re my "new" 1996 F150 (straight 6, 75k miles) was squeaking on a short trip this evening. We have had a couple of moderately rainy days (all too rare in north central FL lately), so I passed it off as a wet belt. It didn't stop right away, and I began to notice that it had something to do with engine speed. After a few miles and reaching the destination, it hadn't stopped, so I began to suspect either the fan clutch or the water pump. There was some water around the bumper and near hood seams, etc., but the accessories and belt were dry.

I almost follow the fan clutch diagnostics in Hayne's. It gets past the free motion part, but I also found some black crud that could be the remains of fluid that leaked out of it a long time ago?? It might pay to see if I can tell the difference between a "roaring" and "not-roaring" fan. Other pointers would be appreciated.

Still no sign of my shop manual.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab