Newer F250 6-speed for towing

Just browsing the Ford site I noticed that a 6-speed manual transmission instead of a 5-speed comes standard. Usually an automatic transmission is recommended for towing ( especially in the half tons ) but how about the newer 6 speed in the ford 3/4 ton? Does it have a granny low first gear and is it durable enough for heavy towing ( say 6-7000 1bs ) ? The powerstroke diesel comes with an "HD" six speed. What is the difference between the HD six speed and the regular six speed that comes with the gas engines?

Reply to
fred

John T Marshall

"Fred", I have not towed anything that heavy with the truck yet. However, I can tell you what I know. It does have a six speed transmission. 1-6, I refer to it as 0-5. 1st gear is a "granny" gear. Lots of torque to the wheels for getting moving. You can also opt for a 4.1 rear end. I have

5.4l gas engine with a 3.73 rear end.

Michelle

fred wrote:

Reply to
Michelle P

"John T Marshall"

Reply to
Adrian Holt

I have a 2000 PSD 6-speed. Granted it is a 7.3 instead of the more powerful and more efficient 6.0 but to comment on the transmission (which is likely identical) it is awesome! I am a die hard gearjammer, the last 5 trucks I have owned have been stick shift and this one is without a doubt the best transmission I have ever driven. As Michelle stated there is a granny gear which on my shift pattern is labeled "L" and then there is 1st - 5th. "L" is a great off-roading gear when you really want to "crawl" in tight, tough or limited visibility 4-wheeling situations. It is also useful for starting up a steep grade when you are towing. I have done a lot of towing with this rig and the upper five perform wonderfully for all normal around town and highway towing work. I pull a travel trailer that weighs about 5,000lbs. and have no trouble pulling in 5th gear at highway speed (65+). From my place in Pasadena, MD (just south of Baltimore) I pulled to Lancaster, PA using cruise control full time on the highway, 5th gear, AC for the whole trip. There are a number of decent grades between here and there and this rig only dropped cruise control on two of them. It drops the cruise if it looses 5mph below set speed.

God Bless,

-BunnMan

Reply to
BunnMan