NGK spark plugs

I have a 03 Ranger 3.0 with 35,000 miles. Would it be worth it to replace original plugs with NGK. Seems I have heard some good thing about NGK. Thanks.

Reply to
Paul O.

I won't tell you the NGK plugs are no good. I have used them for years in my motorcycles and imported cars. My experience with 20 or so personally owned Fords over the years has been that the OEM Motorcraft or the Autolite plugs perform best. They are readily available and less expensive than the NGK in most cases. If you go away from the original spec plugs, you are experimenting on your own nickel. Also, I didn't think the Ranger required a plug change until 60K miles like the Taurus/Sable. The 3.0 in my Sable developed a misfire at about 65K miles. Good as new with a set of Motorcraft OEM spec platinums. Part of it's problem was a stuck IAC which cleaned up nicely.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks. Was wondering since at idle I can feel a roughness and took it to the dealer who checked it out. Supposedly did a diaganostic on it and said there were no problems that showed up and that the roughness was normal. Called it a characteristic of the 3.0, something called powerback.

Reply to
Paul O.

The 3.0 is normally smooth enough that it is not noticeable idling. Ford IAC's tend to gum up and get sticky. This can and usually does result in a bit of roughness at idle because of it's inability to be correctly controlled by the PCM. The fact that it did not show up as a problem at the dealer is common as it rarely produces a fault code just because it is in need of a good house cleaning. They usually behave best when warm with the most noticeable proble being a bit stubborn just after a cold start since they cannot bring the cold idle speed up to where it should be. It is easily cleaned with throttle body cleaner. The best way to clean it is by removal so you can get at it's internal area directly. IIRC, you will need an 8mm wrench or socket to remove it. It is located on the side of the throttle body. Your throttle body and MAF sensors also probably need cleaning. An old tooth brush is a major help with the throttle body. The MAF should be cleaned with a non residue electrical cleaner to remove any oil contamination. It should be located in the air tube between the air cleaner and the throttle body. I would take care of these items before screwing around with the spark plugs. It may just take care of your problems and is probably due anyways.

Lugnut.

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks Lugnut for the info, I will check into this.

Reply to
Paul O.

Funny one, there... My '02 Taurus developed a misfire. Turns out it was the #2 'terminal' of the coil pack. I had already replaced the plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc. I first put in Bosch Super Duper double platinums (center electrode, 4 grounds) and the misfire still occurred. Some cars aren't happy with Bosch plugs, so I put in the d-p Autolites. Still had the problem. Next step was more than likely the coil pack, and since we already had an appointment with the local Ford dealer, I took it in for them to diagnose. I told them my story, and the service tech (older gent) asked if I still had the plugs, and was interested in the #2. When I pulled them, the #2 had a bit more gap than the other 5, but looked exactly like the rest. Coil pack was changed, but the tech had some advice... Get rid of the Autolites. They'll cause problems of their own. The plug wires? Not worth having! Buy them from the Ford dealer!! Yeah, right! Car runs fine with higher $$ plug wires from Auto Zone (lifetime warranty) and standard Autolite d-p's.

Reply to
Shayne