Normal Temp for a 302

In an 89 F150, after about 8 miles of driving the temp gauge gets to the very bottom of the normal range, but it never goes any higher. It seems like it takes alot longer to warm up than other 8 cylinder engines (and other 6-cylinder trucks).

Does this sound normal? It does (barely) get into the normal range. My other Fords climb to the middle of the range pretty quick, and the wife's 6-cylinder Isuzu is pushing out heat before a mile goes by.

The gauge reading was the same this summer, even towing a mini-van through the mountains. Also, it's crew cab (or whatever), so it may just be that the heat isn't heating up the cab as quickly as I was used to, but the gauge reading seems low.

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
Bob Fourney

It sounds normal to me. My 1993 300 does the same thing. Last winter my 1990 BroncoII (2.9L V6) was identical as well. However, on the BII once the needle lifted off the stop the heater blew nice warm air into the cabin. I've never driven the F-150 in the winter to compare it well. I attribute it to the calibration of the display. You'd need a real thermometer to tell if the temperate was really normal or not.

My dad used to have an '83 van with a 351. It never seemed to heat up in the winter (certainly not before he dropped me off at school) due to the large block and the larger cabin space in the van.

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Reply to
BattleGodz

It's pretty easy to replace the thermostat. Suggest replacement. The engine should be at the proper temperature.

Reply to
Mellowed

I know how to replace the T-stat (and agree that it's easy), I just wonder if this is normal for this truck. I bought it in August, when it was warm, and wonder where the gauge should ride. It does put out heat. Also, the gas MPG is about 12.5, and I was expecting (hoping) for 16 or so. The engine running too cold could account for some of that (no, the brakes aren't dragging).

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
Bob Fourney

FYI,

I replaced the thermostat, and the gauge reads the same. I guess it's normal. I put in a 195 thermosate. The one that came out was probably original, it had a 2-88 (89 Truck) and either a 192 or 196 on it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Fourney