Nut size on exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold bolts

Hello All,

I'm in the middle of changing my clutch out on my 2002 F150 4.2L V6 truck. Before I can remove the transmission, I have to disconnect the exhaust pipes from the exhaust manifolds. The nuts have been sprayed with Liquid Wrench and should be ready to come off. I know this sounds stupid, but I can't seem to get the right size socket for the nuts.

5/8" is too big, 9/16" seems too small. Could it be 17/32" or could it be metric? I don't want to miss and round off the nuts. Anybody know the proper size? Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim Halbert

Reply to
jamesh832

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:28:52 -0700, jamesh832 rearranged some electrons to form:

It's most likely a metric size.

Reply to
David M

15 millimeter perhaps?
Reply to
aarcuda69062
15mm and use a 6pt socket. put copious amounts of antisieze on them when they go back.
Reply to
Steve Barker

If 5/8 is too small and 11/16 is too big, then the right answer is metric. Off the top of my head, it should be a 15mm.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

wrote: (2002 F150 4.2L V6)

I'm changing my clutch and I have to disconnect the exhaust pipes from the manifolds. I can't seem to get the right size socket for the nuts. 5/8" is too big, 9/16" is too small. Could it be 17/32" or could it be metric? =============================

9/16 = .5625 In = 14.288 mm 5/8 = .6250 In. = 15.875 mm

If it's metric it will be 15 mm

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Umm... 15mm is smaller than 5/8"

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Well alrighty then, try the 17mm and see what happens ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My bad, 15 is still the right answer because the fraction sizes in question are 9/16 and 5/8, not 5/8 and 11/16.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION Just because you have an American car or truck, you are not shielded from needing metric wrenches anymore. With the globalization of manufacturing and sales of Stuff, metric wrench sizes have crept into the American marketplace. I worked on a Jeep suspension system that had a fraction sized nut and a metric sized bolt head on the same fasterner. Perhaps the linkage was fastened with metric hardware on one end and fraction hardware on the other -- that makes more sense. Either way, it was crazy to find both kinds of fasteners in the same application doing essentially the same job, which was the only point I wanted to make.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Why? He said 5/8" was too big. 5/8" is very close to 16mm.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

the OP also ask if a 17/32 would work even though a 9/16 was to small

- :-/ maybe a chinese made 9/16" would work

Reply to
samstone

Makes ya wonder if they stopped teaching fractions in grade school...

Reply to
aarcuda69062