O2 sensor on 1989 460 7.5L

Need help here. My dad baught a 1989 travelaire RV camper which has this ford econoline 460 engine, V8 7.5L. Thing is it runs very rich (5-6 miles per gallon) and alot of black stuff like unburned gas is clearly marked on the exhaust pipe. So he changed the O2 sensor but no improvment at all. But what I did notice in talking with him was that if the O2 sensor is disconnected, there is no check engine light!!! From my understanding, OBD1 systems would set off the check engine for a disconnected O2 sensor....Right?

Could the O2 sensor have been bypassed? anyway of knowing why the engine does not cryout a problem with no O2 sensor? Where would the engine computer be on ford trucks.

Reply to
Me

First, are you sure it's too rich? Go to an AutoZone and get the code read. Lots of newer vehicles with catalytic converters run a black tail pipe.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I have a 1990 E350 with a 460, it is a 24 foot motor home and gets around

8-9 mpg so unless the travelaire is much bigger I would say it is burning a bit too much gas. However I do run at 60 mph if I run up to 70 or better I would also drop to 5-6 mpg. My tail pipe is also very black. Sorry I do not know where the O2 sensor is.
Reply to
SleepyOne