oil leak

Hi guys & gals, A friend of mine has a 1991 F150 that has had the engine replaced. It now has an oil leak. It looks like the rear main leaking. How can we identify what year engine was put in the truck so we can get the correct rear seal before tearing the engine apart? TIA

Reply to
monza

Not a lot of science here becuase seals do not change from year to year in that area. Worst case senerio, tear it part, reomove old seal and match u- a new one as this is what I do when in doubt as oil seals are easy to find and are a commonly stocked items in most parts stores.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

If it is an EFI 5.0L engine, it should be a one piece seal which requires you pull the trans to replace - or at least that would be the easy way to do it. The last of the rope seals that could be replaced by removing the pan were around

1978 IIRC and were not EFI. Make sure it is the rear seal before pulling the trans. The 5.0L V8 of that vintage had a common problem of the pan gasket leaking and looking like a rear seal leak. This is an entirely different problem. The rear seals do not commonly leak. It is also possible that the leak is from the trans if you have an automatic. Double check fluid color. You may also want to double check the valve covers and the seal at the rear of the intake manifold very closely.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut