Oil pessure gauge stuck

On my 1999 Ranger,sometimes the gauge doesn't show pressure until I've driven a short distance. It only happens with a cold start. Then it shows normal pressure. It doesn't happen every time I start a cold engine. Sometimes I'll turn the key,and instant normal pressure. What could cause this? Thanks

Reply to
Herb

Find the oil pressure sender on the engine, remove the wire attached, clean, re-install and make sure it's a good, tight connection.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:17:09 -0500, Herb rearranged some electrons to form:

First off, it's not a real gauge. It's a pressure switch with a 'gauge' calibrated to read in the middle when the switch closes. It's no better than an idiot light.

I would check the wiring for something loose.

I presume you checked the oil level?

Reply to
David M

Thanks for your input. I will check the sensor wire. I check the oil level regularly,and David the "gauge" does exactly as you mentioned. The needle goes from zero to the exact middle of the dial. Thanks again.

Reply to
Herb