[OT] RTV+Al - good/bad/ugly?

Hello,

This off-topic in the sense that my intended application has nothing to do with my truck, but working on same did inspire the idea. I need to assemble some milled Aluminum parts and need the result to be water resistant. Gaskets would be fine, but whatever material I use must be non-porous. RTV came to mind. Any thoughts?

It is unlikely that I will need to mess around with the structure once assembled. It would be nice to be able to clean up well enough to re-apply and re-assemble if that should be needed. Making new parts would be possible, though not my first choice. If RTV silently chews on Al, I should probably know about that :)

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

I'd say it should work; mfgrs. have been using RTV for transmission pan "gaskets" for years.

If your parts are finely machined you might have better luck with something like Permatex No. 2 or something like that. Permatex cleans up nicely with alcohol, so as long as you are using straight water with no alcohol in it and have a bottle of rubbing alcohol handy for cleanup during dis/reassembly, that should work fine.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Loctite makes a product called Handyman's All-Purpose Adhesive and Sealant. Great stuff! Holds really well, even in high humidity and light rain (if not left in the rain forever). Cleans up with water while wet. When cured, it can be scrapped off like RTV.

Good luck, SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom