P/S - 1988 F150

Some time back, the powersteering gradually dropped off from what is nomally power steering as we all think of it. Previously, I was able to turn the steering wheel with one finger (engine running of course), but little by little it seems, that has dwindled down to a point whereas having the engine running allows me to turn the steering wheel but it feels only slightly easier than manual steering.

Recently I installed a new P/S pump, bled the air out of it etc, but there is not improvement. Is it possible that the steering column itself is faulty? Thanks in advance for any insight to this problem.

Joe Reeves

Reply to
ReevesJ32

Joe,

It sounds like the power part of the steering is functioning properly from your explanation. Considering everything on that end is OK, (proper belt tension, fluid level etc.) Raise the vehicle and turn the wheel back and forth. Is there any resistance. Possibilities are ball joints, steering linkage etc. Sounds like a tight steering component.

Good luck,

Reply to
PC PODD

John..... No, there's nothing tight in that department that I can find. I just had the front end up, installing new brake pads and rotors. All seems well. Pertaining to being tight, the front tires sitting still on cement would create quite a resistance but notmally, one could still turn the wheel quite easily.

I checked this with my wifes vehicle (1989 Ford Crown Victoria). At a stand still, the wheel turns with one finger, my 1988 Ford F150 does not.

I would say that it's driving me nuts, but my wife says "Drive?? That's a short walk!"

Joe Reeves

Reply to
ReevesJ32