Parking Brake Adjustment

I have a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U motorhome on a 2002 Ford F-Superduty Class A motorhome chassis(F53).

The parking brake has gradually gotten to the point where it has to be pushed to its extreme for it to hold.

Can anyone explain how to adjust it(or is it a complex task which may be better performed by a mechanic?)?

TIA.

Reply to
TC

Hi,

Not sure if this is the same parking brake set-up as on the f-250 and f-350 chassis, but if it is, then it's an easy job. It is easiest to do the adjustment if you put the rear of the truck up on jack stands or blocks and take the wheels off but you can do it with the truck on the ground and the wheels on; it's just a little harder to test to see if you have adjusted the brakes too much or too little.

Directly behind both rear disks is a drum parking brake set-up. If you crawl under and look at the back of these drums you will see a small oblong rubber plug about an inch to an inch and a half long. This is the plug to the brake adjustment access hole. Use a large flat end screwdriver to pop out this plug and using a flashlight you will see a notched adjustment wheel. Use the same large screwdriver and move the adjustment wheel a few clicks (5 or 6) clockwise to tighten the brakes. If you have the rear of the truck up on stands you can spin the rear wheels and continue to adjust until the brake shoes start to rub on the drum and then back the adjustment wheel back off one or two clicks. If you have left the wheels on and the truck on the ground, you will need to start the truck, drop it in drive without Appling the parking brake and see if creeps forward then keep adjusting until it dose not creep in drive anymore and then back off the adjuster one or tow clicks.

I hope that helps and wasn't too convoluted.

Best regards, husk-her

Reply to
Husk-Her

Not one of the other posters has it right on this MH/Chassis. The parking brake is a drive line brake. It clamps down on the drive line just behind the transmission and just in front of the front U joints. There is an adjustment nut assembly there and you can adjust it by turning the nut so that it tightens in. Have some one set in the drivers chair, keys out of ignition, transmission in park. You adjust, have them set the brake and see if the pedal has less play. If it's out of adjustment you will have to have it repaired. I can't speak for the 2002 chassis, but on the 1999 new shoes cannot be put on, the whole brake assembly has to be replaced. Cost is about $900.00 plus labor. Don't ask how I know that. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hatch

Usually these things auto adjust if you reverse and then tap the brake pedal. Do you maybe have a driveway that lets you avoid reversing?

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

Follow the cable from each rear wheel. Where they join should be a cable adjustment.

Another thing to check is the rear brake adjusters. If the MH is not backed up on a frequent basis, you may have to have the rear brakes manually adjusted.

Reply to
Dave Thompson

Please read my reply. He has a drive line parking brake. It has nothing to do with the rear brakes.

Reply to
Bob Hatch

He does not have cables. He has a drive line parking brake. It has nothing to do with the rear wheel brakes.

Reply to
Bob Hatch

Bob, this newsgroup is rapidly losing it's value as an endless string of idiots answer questions they don't understand with false information about which they know nearly nothing.

Life is an IQ test. Why is it that those who should be trying the hardest to keep their score secret, insist upon demonstrating their ignorance to the masses?

How is a newbie to know the difference between answers from those who really DO know, like you and Chris Bryant, and those from mindless morons who don't know yet aren't smart enough to KNOW that they don't know?

Lon

Reply to
Lon VanOstran

Buyer beware. Newsgroup information is often (but not always) worth what you pay for it.

Reply to
JimV

Okee Dokee. Scratch that one. Drive line parking brakes 'usually' have an adjustment on the end of the spring/band unit.

Reply to
Dave Thompson

I agree. However, someone must have peed in Lon's Corn Flakes this morning.

Hey! OP! You're screwed. Don't listen to anyone here. Take it to a full service Ford Truck Center and have all retardation parts immediately replaced.

Reply to
Dave Thompson

Thanks. You are correct as to the parking brake being a drive line brake. It is located between the transmission and the drive shaft. There is plenty of thread for an adjustment, but after I loosened the locking nut I can't tighten the cable because of the twisting effect spring action that the cable produces when it is tightened. It appears that the cable assembly should be removed from the brake in order to tighten it, but this is more involved then I wish to get. Guess I'll pay a visit to my friendly mechanic and hope that it can be adjusted. Thanks again.

Reply to
TC

Reply to
Tom Shaw