Passenger assist bar/handle

I recently purchased a 1997 Mazda B4000. We also have a 2004 Explorer. The Explorer has a "passenger assist handle" (what I call a grab-bar) mounted almost vertically on the frame member between the windshield and the door opening on the passenger side. My wife has problems getting up into the Explorer and she finds the position of this handle helpful.

On the Mazda truck, there is a similar handle but it's over the passenger door and is not even visible from outside.

Anyone know of a way to mount a grab bar on the Mazda similar to the one on the Explorer? I suspect the Explorer assist handle bolts into threaded bushings that are welded into the frame. I could probably find an Explorer handle in a junkyard or at a dealer and may be able to attach it with self-drilling screws but this installation would look like shit and likely would not hold.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe S.