Passenger side power window

Ok, a new problem that I'm not sure what to do about. '89 F150 XLT, power window on passenger side works fine, usually. I put the window down, drive where I'm going and put it back up. Once every couple of weeks, it refuses to go back up, and I have to take the door panel off, remove the motor, (I drilled holes in the door for easier access to the mounting bolts), reinstall the motor, replace the door panel, and all is good for another week or two. It's not a lube problem, as I can freely move the window up and down by hand with the motor out, and I'm pretty sure it's not the motor, since the first time it happened, I bought a new motor for it (maybe 3 months ago?). Any ideas? And just for the record, I'm almost qualified to be a shade tree mechanic. (But not quite) I'm an industrial electrician by trade, and a computer junkie by choice. :) Peace...

Reply to
Eric

Try not putting it all the way down- maybe there's a stop at the bottom that needs to be adjusted. I had an old '64 Skylark that did that. If I lowered the back window all the way, I had to bring it up manually. Just a thought. It may also be an intermittent problem with the door switch or possibly the wiring has gotten brittle with age/vibration and has an open in it? Good luck! SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Have you looked closely for any broken wires? Maybe in a plug or someplace difficult to see that would break the connection if you hit a bimp or a bump just right?

Kate

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

No broken connections, no loose wires, and no other electrical problems. Those I can usually find with no problem. It's got to be mechanical, because when I push the button when the window is not working, the current draw on the motor goes almost all the way up to the LRC, and I get 12v at its terminals. I just can't figure out what is sticking in there since everything moves so freely once I remove the motor. Then when I put it back in, everything works fine. I almost wish that something would actually break so that I can find the real problem. Peace...

Reply to
Eric

Replace the motor. Amature goes bad and stops on bad segments. dave

Reply to
liteflyer 1

Instead of using an amature, as you say, he might consider a professional.

Reply to
.

on our contour(1996) it had a cable inside the window regulator... dont know if the ford trucks have this or not, but the cable was frayed and sometimes would work and sometimes not.... replace the whole window regulator(motor and the rest which looks similar to a Bow (the plastic bow with the cable running through it to make the window go up and down.. that was about 5 yrs. ago... now the other front window is making a scratching noise like its telling me to watch it as the cable is breaking-fraying and catching.... might be your problem????

Reply to
dbird