Pickup Truck Bed Covers: Tradeoffs? Favorites?

Posted this on the Chevy NG, but no nibbles. ============================================

I'm about to replace my 'burb with a pickup truck (6.5' bed).

Seems to me like some sort of bed cover is a no-brainer - if only for the extra MPG.

But what kind?

- Soft?

- Plastic panels

- Rollup?

- Powered?

- Manual?

Anticipated use is mainly for trips to the beach to go windsurfing. i.e. The bed only gets opened closed a few times per week, and security is not a big deal.

Low use and lack of security concerns notwithstanding, I'm tempted to go with a high-end rollup - if only for peace of mind when a couple of feet of snow falls overnite.

Does anybody have a make/model that's served them well?

Am I making a mistake with the roll-up?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Too many things to got wrong with the flat bed top covers!!

I've always used the Leer type fiberglass caps that are even with the top of the cab. Buy one that is made specifacilly for your model truck so it fits the back of the cab. That gives you the less wind drag and also more storage for the toys. My last 2 trucks have had Century Caps with the Win-Doors on the sides for better access to the front of the bed without having to crawl inside. These and the rear door are all keyed alike. They paint with factory paints so the match is perfect.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

The bed covers are only for looks. If you put the same amount of money into a good cat-back dual exhaust, and a cold air intake, you will get much more miles per gallon.

Reply to
75yrs.experience

There is no advantage to a bed cover other than protection and security of what is in the bed. No MPG advantage at all, and maybe a slight disadvantage. Best for security and protection are hard covers, whether folding, fiberglass, or something like the Undercover. A cap gives the advantage of more height, but has a bigger disadvantage of more weight and drag (lower MPG). Have had just about each type of the years (including soft) and have come to the conclusion that none is best unless you really need the security/weather protection.

Reply to
marlin.singer

Per snipped-for-privacy@verizon.SPAMDAM.net:

Which one did you dislike the least?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

It is somewhat of a tossup. Folders (hard) and one piece hard covers are nice, but have to be light enough to get off if you need to haul something higher than the height of the bed. Large regular caps are nice as usually they are high enough you do not need to remove them, although if you do, you must have 2-3 people to do it. Soft aren't worth the money and give no security and little weather protection. If I had to pick one, my guess would be a folding hard cover that is easily removed.

Reply to
marlin.singer

Neither of these changes will have any significant impact on fuel economy. Any new truck I am aware of already has a cold air intake and the intake air restrictions for a modern fuel injected engine has no significant impact on fuel economy (think - the biggest intake restriction is the throttle plate - any restriction upstream has no effect unless you are at WOT). Dual exhausts might help top end power, but if you are operating with the hammer down most of the time, then fuel economy is not an issue. Dual exhausts can actually hurt low end performance (and high end to if done poorly). In my opinion people who add cold air intakes on street vehicles are suckers. Ditto for dual exhaust - only reason is looks and sound. My son did all that CRAP to his 6 cylinder Mustang - performance and fuel economy suffered. Hundreds wasted to unimprove the vehcile. I especially dislike out the rear duals on trucks. Total stupidity in my opinion for a work vehicle (or even one used for towing a boat). If you like dual chrome pipes out the rear for looks (and "better" noise) fine, but don't delude yourself that there is a significant mileage benefit.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Per snipped-for-privacy@verizon.SPAMDAM.net:

The folding hard covers like

caught my eyeearly in the game. Another of their virtues would seem tbsimplicity.

Having said that, does anybody have experience with the ones that work like rolltop desks? e.g.

Pricey and less simple, but seem tb most easily "removed" (i.e. rolled back)

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Problem with the roll ups is that you still end up with a large piece right at the front of the bed, so if you have something large you need to tie down, it will hit the cover before it hits the front of the bed. The fold ups are completely removable.

Reply to
marlin.singer

Well Ed: I'll remember not to let you or your son near any of my vehicles. (Who buys a 6 cylinder Mustang?)

If you increase the horsepower, and/or the torque, you will increase your miles per gallon. ( I have the proof in my driveway ) And I don't know of any bed covers that will increase horsepower or torque.

Reply to
75yrs.experience

OK. I bought the six cylinder Mustang - cheap and reliable. It has lasted over 5 years despite my son's attempts to kill it. Nothing else he drove lasted six months (the stupid Firebird didn't last three months).

Increasing horsepower/torque by itself will not necessarily increase fuel economy. Increasing the engine's efficiency can increase both. While a good set of dual exhaust might improve your horsepower, they can actually lower torque at low RPMs. They may or may not improve fuel economy (depending on a lot of factors, including your drving style). If you are driving around at the sort of RPM where they are improving torque and horsepower, then you aren't really trying for max fuel ecomony. Likewise, while a cold air intake might improve high end performance, for a modern fuel injected engine it will have zero effect at part throttle and will not improve your fuel economy. Making a lot of extra noise does not equal making a lot of extra power. And making a lot of extra power does not equal better fuel economy.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

It aint on the chevy forum.

I did thaT, REPLACED MY BURB WITH A 6.5 PICKUP.

aGREED.

I bought a used Jason hardtop bed cap.with windows. Because the chevy 6.5 cant carry sahit. Compared to the burb.

i know someone who has a soft top on an S10 and the snow doesnt botther it.

My suggestion is nix the rollup. For the following reasons . You cant access the full bed without removing the rollup part. And that may not apply to you. But sometimes I put a frigerator or stove in there, I just bought a washer and I want it up against the cab end of the bed and I don't want the rollup broken when things move around driving.

The 6.5 bed v vfrom the suburban was a giant readjustment for me. I used to sleep in the burb, leave things in there protected from the rain. And lock things up.

Reply to
DogDiesel

A bed cover should help milage, just as taking the tailgate off will.

I agree.

Ditto for

Not true. dual exhaust can work on your midrange, and raise your cruise speed, acceleration, And your milage, if you drive the same, or your operating a low enough gear ratio. where the single exhaust was restricting flow. Both my trucks were running 4.11 gear ratios and the difference was significant. Around the 35 -60 mphour area.

My son did all that CRAP to

Of course. it was the wrong engine to mod. it had good milage and nowhere to go but down.

Hundreds

Reply to
DogDiesel