Ping TransSurgeon: Tranny Fluid Flush

TransSurgeon.

I recall you replying to a post not too long ago about flushing the tranny fluid in an automatic. You mentioned something about the distributing dirt from the converter. Would you mind being a bit more specific on the details? I did not quite understand what you were getting at and the implications of doing this. If I recall you indicated to just change the fluid. Could you post, the various methods. The pros and cons. What is best and why.

E.g. Compare Power Flush. Replace fluid and filter. Replace fluid. and other possible options. What about using detergents/additive before doing a fluid change? What about additives after?

If the vehicle details matter. I've got a 94 Ranger XLT 4X4. 4.0 - V6 with the A4LD automatic transmission. 3.27 conventional rear end. 66,000 Km or 41,000 miles.

As far as I know nothing has been done to the fluids to date. I've been told I need to replace the modulator valve and it was suggested that I do a fluid flush at the same time. Should I be doing anything to the other drive train fluids. If so when?Anything I should be keeping my eye out for?

Thanks,

Reply to
Roy Brown

fluid flushing is snake oil

it will knock loose the dirt in the converter, which then plugs the cooler, or if it makes it thru there, becomes lube oil

the A$, especially, does not like 'fluid flushes', I've had two in here that were flushed and would not back up afterwards..........the one-way clutch in the OD assembly would not engage after the flush

of course, Goofy Lube claimed it wasn't hteir fault

well, whose fault is it when the vehicle is driven onto the lift, the flush is done, and it won't move afterwards ?

regular fluid and filter changes cost less and are more effective because you are not allowing dirt to get into the lube circuit

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Thanks,

What do you recommend for the timing of "regular" fluid /filter changes? Should I also be doing anything with the other fluids?

Reply to
Roy Brown