Please Help...

I have a 93 AWD Aerostar extended minivan that has about 155,000 on it. The Trans was rebuilt at around 30,000 from Ford on a warranty from the previous owner.

Getting to my problem, recently I have noticed that only in third gear I get the jerking (feels like jerking from being in the wrong gear while driving a manual) when I step on the gas to pass or climbing hills etc. First and second do not have this phenomenon while in drive or manually shifting with the lever. I have noticed the occasional clunk when I take my foot off the gas and then depress again but this doesn't happen very often.

I have checked the fluid, levels are ok but the fluid smells a tad burnt. I have read that it's not a great idea to change fluid on a tranny that has high mileage especially if they haven't been routinely maintained. My final question is should I change the fluid/filter and if so will it do anything.

This last month has been a very interesting one, new plugs, new muffler, new brakes all the way around, new shocks all the way around, and a new starter.fun fun fun!!! I can't begin to imagine how much I would paid if I didn't do the work myself. Boy are minivans fun to work on!

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!!!

4:20
Reply to
<JoeBlow

started a controversy when he said in news:M9hKa.2708648$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

This van has an overdrive tranny, right? Have you tried taking it out of OD to see if the problem persists? Sounds like the lock-up convertor may be getting old, or you are having some problem with it.

Reply to
Robotron Tom

Yep it sure has overdrive and if I shift into it I am having the same symptoms. You say it could be the "lock up converter", would this be something a novice mechanic could replace or would you suggest a certified mechanic look into it. Also you have any clue how much a new/used converter would run me?

Thanks so much for the help!

Reply to
<JoeBlow

started a controversy when he said in news:dDlKa.2720163$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

The convertor is the torque convertor. It uses an electronic module to lock it up at a certain speed/rpm. If the convertor or the module are going bad it can cause the symtoms you mention. I wouldn't suggest a novice attempt this repair. You should take it to a tranny shop and have them diagnose it. I don't know the cost of a new convertor for your van, but I guess it would be around $300-$400 plus labor.

Reply to
Robotron Tom

mine does the same thing! but i just take it as normal. I mean, its done it since i got it, and its been about 2 years. mines a 91 3.0 2wd with 167,000 miles. someone told me to check the U-joints. maybe theres slack in em' but i never got around to looking. but I hear a clang when its put into gear.

check the U-joints on the driveshaft.

wanna get AWESOME mileage?? I get 31 mpg @ 70 mph flat ground freeway.

I put a K&N cone filter right onto the throttle body, and got rid of the filter box and stock rubber tube. it's mounted directly onto the throttlebody opening.

then i took out my Cat. converters (legal here in oregon) and put in dual 2 inch exhaust. its way too loud, but gets great mileage and hella power now. I am going to switch back to single pipe and performance muffler to quiet it back down.

Reply to
Chris & Brandie