please help

hi al, i have a 95 lincoln towncar, 4.6l. i am having starting problems, the car turned over, but doesn't start. about early january, i was coming back from a trip, going about 5 mph, the car stalled. i pulled over, checked all the fluids, everything was ok, i figured with it having 120, 000 miles on it, its time for a tune up. so i replaced the plugs, wires, both coils, air filter , oil filter, pcv. car runs great, but intermittently, i'll jump in, turn the key, and the starter whinnies, the fan blade spins, but doesn't start. after about 10 minutes, if that, it will fire right up. i noticed that it does this weather the engine is hot or cold. i even tried to bang on the bottom of the gas tank to see if its the fuel pump stuck or something but it doesn't seem to help any. i am really starting to believe that its the fuel pump, but not sure.. any and all assistance would be great. please keep in mind that this is my first "ford' product that i have bought, i don't know the tricks and secrets of the 4.6 yet.. thank you all in advance. ~bryan~ snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net

Reply to
Bryan Bottorff

problems,

The engine wasn't designed to run with the car turned over. Try turning the car, right side up.

Reply to
Tyrone

LMFAO :-)

Reply to
351CJ

yeah..having the car turned over will cause the engine to flood. Not strictly a Ford problem. Happens with all vehicles...

Reply to
David Coleman

Not to mention all that oil all over the ground.

Reply to
Tyrone

Do not put graphics or pictures into these newsgroups

that being said

You have to determine what is missing form the equation, Fuel or spark. So on a quick Guess id say fuel pump, Also change the fuel filter, if it's clogged up, that may solve the problem, but often they kill fuel pumps On the electrical side, ignition module, but this is just a guess.

Reply to
Steve

My guess is you're probably looking for serious help. I used to have a slightly older Towncar and had the same problem. Turns out there are two or three things that could be wrong. There is a module in the distributor that begins acting up when they get older. I replaced that and, as I recall, a relay on one of the fender wells but can't possibly remember that far back. You might get in touch with a shop that deals strictly with electrical/ignition problems and get their opinion.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks