Possible Fuel Problems

I have a 1985 Bronco 351w 4bbl. It has been running fine but yesterday I was driving to a dr appt and once when making a sharp right turn it almost died on me and then again making a left it did stall.

On the way home had no problem with it and thought problem was a fluke it was -7 with windchill yesterday and today in cincy.

Went out to start it this afternoon and as it was warming up it started to slow down then died could restart it but same thing.

There is only 1/4 tank gas in it right now I was on my way to fill it up. So I wonder if I have some moisture in the tank aka water in fuel.

I checked the coil wire and other wires all looks ok.

I know it could be a vaccum leak and I checked and repaired all I found this past fall.

Any suggestions? this isn't my daily driver and I really just use it tool around in during the winter and going camping.

Thanks In Advance,

Tim

Reply to
Tim G

I would bet that one of the following is causing your problem: a. You have a problem with a sticking float b. Water has gotten into the carb

The solution is to pull the carb, and replace and re-set the float. While doing that, blow out the carb using a can of carb cleaner. Add a couple of bottles of de-icer to your tank and fill it up. Change the fuel filter and see if that doesn't cure your problem.

Reply to
Reece Talley

I agree with RJT. BTDT when odd motions etc cause trouble, I've found stuff in the carb everytime. I mostly just want to add a little to RJT's "water in the carb" idea. The dangged stuff is invisible, don't let it fool you too! ;)

When I had that problem once (washed the engine;) the dangged water turned out to form a clear jelly like stuff that I couldn't see or detect until after I pulled the carb off and dumped it out. The trouble went on for more than a week, you'd think it'd clean itself out in that time especially during the summer in AZ, but nope. :/

It wasn't plain water it was a jelly like stuff that persisted in plugging up and un-plugging various jets at various times. Even bought a new coil during that problem. :)

And it was all because I was sloppy while taking the plastic bag off the carb! :)

Oh man them vacuum hoses have a way of spitting on you again right after you've "fixed" them. New hoses is the only real cure. Did you do that already? :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

never leave a empty tank or almost when its cold, your looking for trouble, we are used to that in canada, if you have buy gas antifreeze and put one every fillup, you're never have problem again!

Pascal "Tim G" a écrit dans le message de news:v8USb.9587$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.columbus.rr.com...

Reply to
Isabelle et Pascal

It has been so long since I have driven a carb'ed vehicle and I forgot about the low gas and such and I was driving on the highway which was blowing -whole knows what wind in.

I got a can of dry gas and filled it and ran fine. I do think I have a float problem also but as weather warms I'll fix that.

Thanks for all the replies,

Reply to
Tim G