power brake conversion

ive asked a pile o questions here in the last bit..( 390 vs cammed

460...snagged both btw) and the info has been quick and right on...now i gotta ask.i want power brakes in my 65 Merc...i dont want to modify in any way if i can avoid it and have been told that i can use up to a 75 or so as damn near a bolt in if not a true bolt in....any people out there tried that???
Reply to
Jay Anderson

||ive asked a pile o questions here in the last bit..( 390 vs cammed ||460...snagged both btw) and the info has been quick and right on...now i ||gotta ask.i want power brakes in my 65 Merc...i dont want to modify in any ||way if i can avoid it and have been told that i can use up to a 75 or so as ||damn near a bolt in if not a true bolt in....any people out there tried ||that???

That pretty much works. Why not just buy a reman booster w/master cylinder and bolt it up. Add a vacuum line, and you may have to change the steel lines to reach the new MC position. Also, the pedal pushrod length may be different. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

I can't remember for sure...is the '65 still a single-circuit brake system or does your master cylinder have two resevoirs?

I know that to install power brakes on the '67-'72 pickups, all you need to do is get the power booster and brackets for any '67-'79 F-100 thru F-350 and bolt it in. You'd simply unbolt the master cylinder from the firewall, move it forward just enough to give you room to insert the power booster (you don't even have to disconnect the brake lines), bolt the booster in place and then the master cylinder to the booster. The booster will have it's own master cylinder pushrod, so you have to remove the rod from your existing master cylinder (should be held in with a clip). And then, of course, run a vacuum line from the booster to the engine's intake manifold.

Just so you know...from '73 thru '79, disc brakes were standard equipment on all F-100 thru F-350 trucks. The disc brake spindles are different from the drum brake versions, so I'd suggest finding a '73-'79 donor truck and simply swap the entire front suspension from it into your truck. It's a true bolt-on....no mods necessary, except possibly for a few brake line mods, but that's relatively easy. That way you can get power DISC brakes. This is what I'm doing to my '67 F-100....I'm doing a frame-off on this truck, and using the entire front suspension and steering from a '79 F-150. In fact, I JUST got finished installing this front end last weekend...all that's left is the brake lines.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

Sweet! thanks for the info....i was kinda leaning that direction anyhow but its good to hear from a person with experience...ive sort of got a line on a

76 with a dead motor and trans that i can use for parts so i guess tyhe only thing left to do is go for broke! oh yeah....the master cylinder is ..sadly enuff....single reservoir...thats gonna dissappear really kwik! >
Reply to
Jay Anderson