Power steering noise

Hi all, Ever since we bought our '95 Ford F-150 a few months ago, it's always made power steering noise constantly. Even when idling, you han hear a groan sound from the pump. Everyone I've talked to has said that they all make the noise. It's no tvery loud or noticaeable unless you're listening for it, but you can hear it, and it changes pitch with engine RPM.

Anyone experience this?

Thanks,

-- Tony Kimmell Towanda, IL

to email me, put a "2" after my last name in my email address

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

I just drained my 93 F250 power steering system and filled with Lube Guard and new PS fluid. The noise went away in 100 miles.

Reply to
me

Reply to
BattleGodz

Have you checked the fluid level?

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

My '75 Ford service manuals address this noise too...

"try to talk the complainer out of replacing the steering gear but if they insist, go ahead. Explain the new unit will be noisy too"

When re-doing my whole steering setup ('75) I added about a 1/4 cup of extreme pressure rated, teflon grease (made in Holland) to the power steering fluid, it's now quieter than it ever was.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

But what is Lube Guard?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Lube Gard is a transmission additive that seems to do exactly what it claims. I used it in my '94 CV that always whined. I thought I had screwed up to start but, like a previous poster mentioned, the thing went completely silent after a couple hundred miles. You should not use a whole bottle of Lube Gard in the steering unit - a couple of ozs. is plenty added to a unit that is freshly flushed and fille with a good quality PS fluid. I have also had good results with good Dexron III or IV trans fluid with the LG added. Many parts houses and trans shops have it. Expect to pay around $10 US for a pint bottle. My expereince has also been 100% noticeably positive with it as a trans additive when used as directed.

Reply to
lugnut

Is Lube Guard really thick stuff like STP?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Absolutely not! Most of the shops around here routinely add it when they rebuild or service a trans claiming greatly reduced returns because of performance and driveability of the trans. I have no empirical data to backup my experience but, it has improved the way the transmissions I have used it in each and every time I have used it except when the trans was in need of repair anyways. Look here for more info.

lugnut

I purchased it at the NAPA store for about $7.00 for a pint. I put the whole bottle in. Ford recommends to turn from full left and right and hold for 5 seconds to bleed the air bubbles out after a change. Sure seems strange to have a Ford and not hear the power steering noise.

WES

Reply to
me